1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TB...tell me what Chorus pedal to get!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by velalv, Apr 13, 2020.

What chorus pedal should I get?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2020.
  1. Walrus Audio Julia

15 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. EQD Sea Machine

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Other

76 vote(s)
    73.8%
  4. Carrots

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Ebs Unichorus

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    So I am in the market for a chorus pedal for church that can play well with my Musicman Bongo and the hot preamp it has, which I put into the PA. I tend to accompany people on piano who play clean, and do not use pad settings on their piano. Sometimes, I will back a single person on an acoustic. My church tends to like quiet and atmospheric. I would prefer something with top loading jacks, and am looking for a warm chorus sound. Right now, I am between the EQD Sea Machine and the Walrus Audio Julia, as they would fit on my Nano. I am open to other suggestions.

2. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    For your simple needs I'd go with a simple pedal. Providence Bass Chorus is excellent on the high end. Boss CE-2B is incredible for a cheaper used model. I'm sure you'll get a lot of other suggestions.

Mili and PeterH like this.
  3. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Boss CE-2 is the classic chorus pedal, and it sounds amazing. CE-2B is the bass version which has an added blend knob and one capacitor difference which adds a bit more bass. There is also the newer CE-2w which has a mod switch with 2 different chorus types and a vibrato mode. If you buy used, these pedals really keep their value too.

Of the two you listed, Walrus Julia would be my choice.

4. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Changed poll to include EBS Unichorus. Forgot about them

5. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Aguilar Chorusaurus should get a look. Top jacks...blend...

Also...for multiple sound options, check out the TC Electronic Corona with Toneprint functionality and the SourceAudio Gemini chorus with 3 presets, plus many more via the Neuro app.

6. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    Providence is the best chorus I've played, if you can afford it, it is tone uncompromised.

ExaltBass likes this.
  7. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    There might be better . . . there are certainly more expensive . . . but I love my EHX Bass Clone. Perfect for worship. The crossover does a great job of keeping the low end in tact while adding sparkly enhancement to the top.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Iron Ether Polytope. Can be super subtle and also weird. It's bass-centric so you can make sure you're tone and your vibe are as clean and precise as you might need in a DI/Church setting.

Jakeman, thumbslapper, bebi and 6 others like this.
  9. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    I have to agree. A fantastic pedal at a very reasonable price.

Spidey2112 and PeterH like this.
  10. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Boss CEB-3 is fantastic as is the Ibanez CS-9. Also worth a look the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe and the TC Electronics Corona Chorus

BassBH likes this.
  11. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Providence Anadime Bass Chorus
    In a class by itself.

F5FCA3CF-EE3A-45DE-96E6-B67132BE73A6.jpeg

12. NigelD

NigelD Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Visual Sound H20.

13. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    The one's that I've had-
    -MXR Bass Chorus- It was ok.
    -Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus- Wish I still had that one. No longer in production.
    -TCE Corona- Nice chorus. Versatile with the TonePrints. A bit too subtle for me, but you might dig it.
    -Source Audio Gemini- Nice chorus. Similar versatility with the Neuro app. Same issue as the TCE.
    -Iron Ether Polytope- Wish I still had this one. Very lush. Not that simple, but outstanding.
    -Strymon Mobius- It's the king of digital modulation. Way more than what ya' probably need, but it's XLNT!
    -Boss MD-200- It's a sweet multi-modulation pedal. Almost as good as the Mobius. Would be good if you wanted multiple modulations.

The one's I've still got-
    -Boss CEB-3- It's a Boss pedal, so it works. For being on the lower end of the spectrum, it's a damn good chorus pedal.
    -Strymon Ola- A bit of a dark horse. Definitely not common on bass boards. Too bad, it's a solid chorus pedal on bass. The MIX knob is winner. This is a really good digital chorus pedal.
    -Neunaber Inspire- Kind of versatile, kind of expensive, kind of uninspiring.

The one's I'm considering now-
    -Seymour Duncan Catalina- Seems to be a super solid performer on bass. Watched Patrick Hunter's demo. I like the added Dynamic Expression feature. Found some used ones, probably gonna give one a go.
    -Analogman Chorus- Can now be ordered with top jacks and a Deep setting for bass. Always gets stellar reviews. Expensive, but could be worth it.
    -Foxgear Ballade- just found out these guys existed yesterday, LOL! Allegedly, the Ballade was developed with the help of Tim Lefebvre. It's analog, with a mix knob, top jacks, and it's only $99. There's no demos at all, but it ticks all my boxes and it's only $99! I'll probably buy one just because it's $99, and I might get the flanger, too.

14. CZGunslinger

CZGunslinger

Jan 16, 2008
    Arkansas
    I’ll add to what some of the others have said: the lowly Boss CEB-3. Have used it in exactly the situation that you describe. It works and sounds really good.

leto and JoePP like this.
  15. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on the Tech 21. Sounds great with lots of variation.

Stevorebob likes this.
  16. Markzts

Markzts

Aug 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    Digitech Hardwire CR7 - many options, I like the studio chorus

Tubehed likes this.
  17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Analogman

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. Erithon

Erithon Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2018
    JAM Pedals Waterfall Chorus (bass version). I use it in church myself. It doesn't have top jacks, but once you hear it you won't care.

Stevorebob likes this.
  19. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Another write in vote for the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe. I don't use it all that often, but it always sounds good when I do. Best of luck with your search.

Gdeak likes this.
  20. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Utility Knife

3F54E23A-41BD-431F-8525-D4529BC9A51E.jpeg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021