TB User names of Well known bassists

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by funkastorious, Apr 16, 2001.

1. funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    I've been "away" for some time, so excuse my deduction.

It seems "popular" that users are using names of popular bass players as their ID.

What's up with this?

Heck, I even see that some dudes claiming to be Jeff Berlin and Dan Glenn have their own Forums!
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think it's just a sign of their musical immaturity and, in time, they'll learn to incorporate their influences instead of futilely trying to copy. Just a phase.

The real owners of those names certainly didn't get to where they are by copping someone else.
  4. funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    I think it's actually quite cute. I just wanna know what sign-on a "player" would use if they did post here.

Kinda like that thread from Roger Sawdowsky. I almost died that Roger took time to post here. The guy is simply too valuable to look at a computer.

Even though I play Jaco tunes (as in "astorious"), it was chosen because one of our CD inserts put that as my name. So, that was given rather than self-titled.

Dam, now you have me comtemplating my own sign-on.

Maybe I should be "one" of those guys that has 15 different sign-on depending on who I want to piss off.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I use my own name,since someday I'll be famous,and I didnt want anyone else to use it and swipe all the glory :D
  6. Funky Dung

Funky Dung

Mar 25, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was going for originality and a cool sound with my nick. I've been using it for years on other services and in computer games.

It's actually not completely orginal, though. Any observant folks out there able to spot the obscure reference?
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I was overly fender proud when i made this then cam = my nicknames for 10yrs plus [i'm 14]. thats all
  8. I don't know about the other culprits here, but I personally got permission from XavierG to use his name.
  9. can i get my ID changed to fieldy!?!?!? PLEASE!! hahahahahha

10. Roger Sadowsky seems to spend a lot of time online. He actually gives importance to what is said about his stuff on the discussion boards, and will take the time to drop in and dispel rumours. Particularly the 'Sadowsky uses warmoth parts' rumour. OK, he's a nice guy and obviously enjoys e-contact, but it's good business practice as well.
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    is this thread about me? :D

well i have to agree... i chose this nick about a year ago... and yeah that was inmature... i tried to change it a couple of months ago... but can´t.

and i´m near 300 posts... so going back to "new member" will be painful...

am i still worthy of your friendship? :(
  12. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Sure!!!! But prove to us that you're really NOT Les Claypool!!!! Betcha haven't thought of that one , huh???!?!!?:D:D:D
  13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    *gets nervous*
    errr.... man!...where do you get those ideas!...

*packs up and goes fishing near Rancho Relaxo*
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dude, just email Paul and have him change it. And (sigh) you dont lose your posts either.
  15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    good idea... i will send the 20 bucks of registratíon fee plus 5 bucks for the name change ;)
  16. rickbass

Les - Well, partially. Personally, I don't care as I hoped you could tell by the tone of my original post. I don't think you guys are trying to deceive anyone, just paying tribute.

But it sure fools the dickens out of some newbies. I remember one thread you had about an MIM Jazz, where someone posted something like, "Are you really Les Claypool?!?! WOW!!!"

Poor guy....like THE Les Claypool is all concerned about his MIM,....yeah, right. :rolleyes:
  17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

whoa dude... that was like months ago!!
    so there´s people actually paying atention to me!!

:D you just made my day ;)

18. rickbass

Glad I made somebody's day, Les. When you play the club circuit, it's good to have a steel trap memory for all the different basslines and styles. Quitting drinking made a big difference.
  19. 90_feet

Mar 18, 2001
    i just wanted to inform you that hopefuly you'll be seeing this name in the futurecuz that's the name of the band i play in really good band accually maybe i'll get a mp3 out soon?
  20. Whoa there kid, use punctuation (sp?).