1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TB Volkswagen Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Mar 29, 2009.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Any VW owners out there?

Just hit 10k on my '08 Jetta Wolfsburg (2.0T, DSG so practically a GLI).

Loving the car. That 2.0 TFSI is one of the most wonderful engines around (Ward Top 10 Engine Award 3 years running). Great mileage and power. The DSG transmission is out of this world. Never had so much fun with an automatic.

Show me some VW love!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've got a 2002 Passat w/4-Motion.

It's a nice car but I prefer my AWD RT Magnum.

3. I have a 1994 Golf CL, it sits because I can't afford insurance. Awesome though.

lowsound

4. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Bought my girlfrie d a 2001 volkswagen beetle in lime green. Has spolier sunroof heated seats turbo premium sound I think it's glx? It's fun to drive and pretty fast.. Definatly doesn't look like a 2001. I didn't know it came with half the stuff untill I picked it up. Bought it off eBay

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I am currently driving a 2009 jetta wagon with the 2.5l engine. Love it. It's fast, especially when driven with tiptronic, and it handles like a mofo.

I've previously owned/leased 3 passat wagons, 2 jetta wagons, 1 passat sedan, 2 jetta sedans, and two beatles.

I'm a fan.

EDIT: the 2003 jetta vr6 wagon has been my favorite out of all of them thus far.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My wife and I owned a 95 Jetta when we got married in 95. Sold it a couple years later. I sure miss it. They are coming out with some tight new rides, and would love to get one of those or something older. I have always liked VW's.

-Mike

7. Big +1 on the 2.0T. The wife is currently in an 06 Passat with that motor. She did 1600 highway miles going home to see her folks and averaged 34.8 mpg.

I've also had a '89 Fox, '95 Jetta, and a '71 Super Beetle.......

Das Auto, indeed!!

8. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i have a 412 variant from 1972.

9. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    I've always wanted a Beetle (Type I, not New Beetle). My dad has a 1600 Jeans Beetle in the garage but it's in a state of disrepair :(

10. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Current
    '74 Thing
    '86 Syncro Vanagon (Zetec-powered)
    '72 GT4 (SCCA) - Super Beetle
    Intermeccanica Roadster (VW-powered)

Long gone
    '65 21 Window Sunroof bus
    '71 Single Cab
    '61 Sunroof
    '67 (on '70 IRS pan)
    '68 AutoStick (my first car)

Bride's contribution
    '64 Sunroof
    '62 Bug

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My wife drives an '03 Jetta Wagon 2.0T that we bought new. It's a fun car to drive - especially compared to my Explorer. I'd happily buy another VW when it's time to replace her car.

I had a '68 Karmann Ghia for a while in the late-80's. I loved that thing, but I wrecked it badly and had to put it out of it's misery. :(

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Almost picked up a new Rabbit but I got a used Chevy HHR instead.

If the Rabbit's were a few bucks cheaper, I might have been swayed.

13. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I drive a 2007 GTI with the 2.0T engine and DSG transmission. I freakin' love it! Plenty of room in the back for my gear, plenty of pickup and great handling for some spirited driving, and the best seats I've ever sat in in a car that wasn't a luxury barge.

2231582549_2bc86368eb.

14. I have a 2006 Jetta 2.5. I love driving it, it's the first car I've had in a while that was fun to drive. It's my first VW, but not my last. I've been drooling over the CC commercials. My only complaint is that my 2x10 cabinet won't fit in the trunk, I have to turn it a certain way to get it to fit in the back seat.

15. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Here's my puppy - bad pic in a very wet morning

IMG_0495.

16. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I miss my Jetta, it just couldn't hadn;e more than the 280,000 miles, VW sure doesn;t make them like they used to.

I am picking up a mid 80s camper bus from my father in law, gonna be sweet[​IMG]

17. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I have a '93 Golf GL, I need to get some work done to get it back to my daily driver.

My dad had a Late 60's Beetle

My step-father got a "Thing" back in the 70's. I loved that car.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I have a 2002 GTI with the 1.8T 20V engine, slightly lowered on 19-in wheels. My previous car was a 1988 VW Golf GL that I bought new and drove for over 250,000 miles.

I'm "BassNotes" in the forums at www.vwvortex.com.

19. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the link, Bob! I've read part of one FAQ over there, and I already like it better than the other VW forum I lurk at.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    For whatever reason, VWs have a lot of enthusiasts, so there are many pretty useful resources and tools available for maintenance, repair, parts, mods, etc.

If you own a VW (one that's out of warranty, anyway, though it's probably wise to be able to handle some things on your own even if the warranty is still live) and are handy with tools and mechanical stuff, get yourself a Bentley repair manual for your car, as well as a Ross-Tech VCDS cable and software (VAG-specific diagnostic system for a PC that plugs into the car's OBDII port). Bookmark some online parts sources like www.1stvwparts.com and www.ecstuning.com.