1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TBC AP400MM review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JLW, Jan 4, 2007.

1. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    So I got my TBC AP 400MM a while ago.
    EDIT: I changed the strings, and it sounds way better. Earlier, I gave it a very negative review because it sounded like a twangy, piece of crap tin can. I was gonna change the name of the bass from TBC to POS.

So far it's getting a much more positive review.
    I will give you all a more accurate synopsis at a later date.

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Sounds like maybe you got a bad preamp :confused:

My AP400 Single M (one pickup) had a fat low end.....tons of bass. And that was with the original strings that came on it. I did have to roll down the treble a bit.....but nothing like you are describing. Give Jack Wilson a call. If there is something wrong....he will make it right.

3. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, so I just realized that it's the crappy practice amp that is causing the annoying distortion on the E string. I turned the volume down a bit more and it's definitely the amp.

I guess the amp can't handle the higher volume of that string for whatever reason. No biggie.

I'm about to replace the strings and see if that's the problem.

4. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    try a different amp, i mean if it's making your E buzz like crazy what's making it not distort the actual sound of the bass in general..

5. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, I replaced the strings.

Sounds WAY WAY WAY better. I had a feeling it was the strings.

I don't know what it is with those strings, maybe because they were so new, but DAMN did they sound bright.

6. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    So, while in the process of replacing the strings, the nut came loose (the little black plastic thing that is at the very top of the neck). As a result, the strings are now unaligned with the neck.

I'll give the tech support a call and see what he says.

Odds are I'm returning it.

7. eajacobs

eajacobs

Nov 20, 2006
    I lowered the pickup by a couple mm on the bass side and that got rid of my distortion problems. Just curious... what kind of strings did you guys throw on yours?

8. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't exactly remember the name of the strings that I replaced it with.

I'm pretty angry that my bass is now unplayable though.

As stated, the bridge and the headstock was not perfectly aligned. As a result, it caused the nut to come loose, rendering the bass unplayable.

That was the last AP-400MM in stock, so hopefully I can just get my money back.