TBC bass v.s Aria Sb404

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbully43, Dec 31, 2005.

1. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Sorry i need some advice...i have been droolin over a TBC 4 with soapbars and now have the money...BUT...a friend got me a deal on a Aria 404 at a local shop..he went from $600 to $500 for me and i got it for $400

Aria SB 404

Ovankal body
    Neck thru
    5 piece nato/maple neck
    2 double coil soapbars
    coil tap.pup selector tone/mid/bass
    Good tuners
    mono rail bridge
    Looks custom wood is cool 3-d effect stingers in body .

Pros: Plays great real slim neck and profile great growl and i can dial in a ton of tones good slap bass. It balances well for a heavy wood..i set a super low action with no buzz at all and no dead spots. Bought at a local shop where i know the guy and he will return for full refund after Monday if i dont like it after monday a store credit.Aria have a lifetime limited warranty

Cons: VERY noisey..tons of humm and crackling whern i touch the string in high mids. Store owner if sending it out to a local luthier to be repared per warranty. Weird bridge but it think i got it figured out. No shielding of any kind under the plate :meh:

THC basses

Swamp ash
    3band soapbars Mid /Bass/Tone
    pau ferro fret board
    Very cool picguards -wood
    Maple bolt on necks
    Good loooking bridge
    chambered body
    body thru string

Pro: look real good
    So far good reviews here on TB
    About $450.00 shipped

Cons: never played one or heard one. Shipping from Cali 7 day return for refund ..2 yr limited warrenty and all repairs have to be sent back.

I have until monday to decide..if the grounding is no big thing..i'm going with the Aria...but i had a grounding issue in another bass that was sent out and came back better but still had buzz so im leary...the local shop will give store credit for 30 days so at least i'm safe it it comes back buzzing
    Sorry for the long post but i'd like some Tbers advice.
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i love my TBC, but the deal on the aria is a one time thing it sounds like....but if its got all those problems, and the TBC IMO is a great, great, great bass
  3. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Oh i agree...TBC has got a real good thing going. The ARIA is way more exotic looking using cool woods etc and is covered in my area shop...but the TBC jazz is hot for sure. I think i am going to get the store owner to give me a longer return policy...if the ARIA comes back quiet i'll keep it ...if not i want a full refund and will buy the TBC...i know for a fact i will own a TBC they are to great looking not to. I had no problem ordering SX basses but the whole mailing 500 bucks for a bass with a 2 year waranty and 7 day send it back or keep it policy had me a bit worried. thanks for at least replying...i'm having a jhard time getting replys on the ARia and am confused on why i cant get the fellow TBers to give advise :meh:
  4. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I think we tend to avoid Arias, because they're seen as a low-end bass and TBers like to pretend they're all hoity-toitey. ;)

My dad tried to pick up the bass recently, and got a cheap Aria. I was playing it when I went to visit them for x-mas, and was pleasantly surprised by it (except one crap fret above the 12th).
    That said, if your Aria doesn't have a grounded bridge it would drive me insane personally.

I've been lusting after a TBC bass myself, so that's the direction I'd lean. They're beautiful, it's brand new (so no worries about where it's been), and it has a grounded bridge. heh.

Just my thoughts. I've held back on a TBC myself because I can't try before I buy.
  5. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    This Aria is the upper end model SB series...they make two above this one that list for over a grand one being a SB1000ri and a John Tayor from Duran duran model that is highend they also have a custom shop. I tried to find anything on them by doing searchs but nothing out their to be found...the bridge is grounded you can see the wire under the 4 piece mono bridge. I will use it at practice on monday and see what is sounds like in the mix...it is very growly and has a super slap tone. i play in a classic rock band and dont slap eccept to warm up so i really dont need that but it loud and is hot in the pups. The bass is new and will be looked at by a local luthiire for the grounding issue ...but cant see how the tech who signed off the warranty card ever let it out with a bad ground.