1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TBC goes under the knife! (with soundclip!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by needmoney, Jan 6, 2007.

1. So I decided to rip the preamp out of my newfound TBC AP-500M, as it really wasn't that great, plus I prefer Passive electronics anyway. So the idea was to wire it up Volume, Tone, with the Jack moved to the top.

Big kudos to a local luthier Phil Mallioux (check him out in the Luthiers Corner) for his help with it all, it was actually quite an effort moving that jack to the front!

So here's the TBC stripped of all it's innards (with an extra coat of shielding paint)..
    DCP_3034.

And the front (as you can see the hole for the jack had to be countersunk to be able to fit the nut on)..
    DCP_3035.

The new innards (Volume, Tone (.50 cap), Switchcraft Jack)..
    DCP_3040.

And the front decked out (still missing pickup though)..
    DCP_3037.

So all that's left to do now is wait for the shielding paint to dry, then I can put the pickup back in, and wire all the grounds to a star ground in the control cavity. More pics soon!

:bassist:

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Very cool! I would love to know how it sounds without that cheap preamp in them! I would almost think they would sound better passive, and it would also help cut the cost a bit.

3. Well we had it wired up Passive according to a standard diagram, and it sounded great! From what I can tell, it sounded quite a bit fatter than it did with the preamp, also you could roll off the tone and get some nice dub tones (which I couldn't do with the preamp). I'm just rewiring it now to make it as noise-free as possible :)

4. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    It sounded quite nice without the preamp. I prefered it passive.

You really are a mods junkie Rick ;) show us a pic of the electronics cavity once your done.

5. Agreed on the Passive. And you're right about the mod junkie.. I just can't stop! :hyper:

Here's the completed cavity.. just waiting for some paint to dry then it's good to go.

DCP_3046.

6. And it's done! Another successful mod.

DCP_3051.

As I said, the Passive sounds much nicer to my ears. The pickup sounds more meaty, and the tone control works wonders where the treble control couldn't! I'll get some soundclips up later on today to show how great this beauty sounds!

7. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Could you have put a series/parallel switch in?

8. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice one Rick.

9. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    I really like the different colored wood. The contrast is great.

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Looks great, but I have one question:

Why the front mounted jack?

11. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Hi,

I'm not the original poster, but I find front-mounted jacks easier to deal with. Side-mounted jacks tend to hit my leg or a chair when I play sitting down and they also can get in the way when sitting the instrument on a stand. Of course, using cables with angled ends would help...

12. Probably, although the pickup itself would have had to have been modified. The output probably would have been quite weak in Parallel anyway.

13. Just preference really.

14. eajacobs

eajacobs

Nov 20, 2006
    I'm interested in doing the same with mine, but installing a push/pull series/parallel volume pot. Which parts would I need to do this?

15. Like I said, to my knowledge, since the pickup itself is already wired in Series, you'd have to rip the pickup apart and wire it totally different so you have 4 pickup leads (I think!). If you're brave enough to attempt that then you just need a push/pull pot from a parts store.

16. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    God, I'm gassing so much for an Iamp since I heard your gear. That bass sounded totally different through my workingman's 160. :rolleyes:

Well your Lakland and your TBC are both modded now, you'll have to get more basses to satisfy your modding addiction now. :D

17. Perhaps you should check out the Markbass amps Phil. I really wanna hear a Little Mark II!

I don't know what I'm going to do about my addiction now.. Once I get some decent funds I'll probably start up a Warmoth/USAGC Parts bass or something!

18. so easily swayed! :smug:

19. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Scotty! where you been all that time??

Now I gotta hear that Iamp through your Berg see how big of a difference the cab makes. ;)

I'll move my @ss with finishing that 5 string so we can get together again and play around with our rigs :smug: