SOLD TBC (The Bass Company) USA MM Stingray Style 4, "J" Neck (1.5" Nut)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jtlee, Mar 19, 2016.

1. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Price:
    Strings:
    Rare, American made TBC USA (pre-China) bass, from when they were hand building high-end MM Stingray-style basses and doing them right. Street price on these were over $1K when new. I already own a TBC USA 5, so tentatively putting this up for sale...love the superfast Jazz style neck with 1.5" nut, which I haven't found on any other TBC USA basses. At 8 lbs, 6 oz, it's also the lightest TBC USA I've owned.

I don't like the plain black look and love Stingrays, so I took an old EBMM pickguard I had from a previous bass (light warp, chip on the edge) and custom cut it with my Dremel. First try at cutting a pickguard but it came out pretty good, IMHO (patting myself on the back). I haven't drilled mounting holes into the body, just in case the new owner wants it unmolested, but I will include the pickguard and screws. Also going to try and heat/clamp out the warp. You could always use the pickguard as a template for getting a new, custom one made.

The bass is in Very Good Condition; just a finish chip on the back and some light nicks on the body edges and headstock. Back of the neck has one little nick on the treble/underside and some normal thumbnail scratches but otherwise very clean, fingerboard and frets are in excellent shape. Just oiled/cleaned the board and restrung it with some fresh strings. Action is nice and very low (setup with very little relief for a light touch player). Specs:

Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple, 34" Scale
    Nut: 1.5"
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, 22 frets
    Bridge: Chrome Gotoh Style
    Tuners: Chrome open gear
    Pickup: Single MM-Style Humbucker (w/ears)
    Electronics: Volume, Active 2-band EQ (9V)
    Finish: Gloss Black
    Weight: 8 lbs, 6 oz.

Selling for $425 shipped in the US w/non-matching gig bag. International shipping is no problem, just PM for quote. Trades considered (will look at anything, but mostly looking for 34" Scale 5-strings).

TBC4 (1).JPG
    TBC4 (2).JPG
    TBC4 (9).JPG
    TBC4 (3).JPG
    TBC4 (6).JPG
    TBC4 (4).JPG
    TBC4 (5).JPG
    TBC4 (7).JPG
    TBC4 (8).JPG

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Do you know how this string spacing compares to an ATK. I have an ATK and the spacing is too much. Looking for something to replace it.

3. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    String spacing at the bridge is 3/4", 19mm, center to center (like any Fender P/J or MM Stingray). At the nut, the TB's width is 1.5", much narrower than the ATK's 1.673". Width at the end of the neck of the TBC is just shy of 2.5".

The bass basically plays like a Fender Jazz but sounds like a Musicman Stingray.

Squinty Jones likes this.
  4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    now you're probably really going to tempt me by saying the neck is unfinished or satin

5. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    The neck is finished but as it's been played over the years, it's definitely more of a satin finish. Not a high gloss...feels like a played Am.Std Fender neck. And if you want, I'd be happy to knock back the finish further by lightly sanding it. :)

Squinty Jones likes this.
  6. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Groovy.

jtlee likes this.
  7. bluesrx

bluesrx

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    What is the neck profile front to back?

So there is no coil switch?

Do you know who made the pickup for TBC?

8. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Neck profile is a "modern C", similar to a Fender American Standard Jazz. No coil switch; I've never opened up the bass, so unsure of whether or not it has a 4-conductor wire, but I'll check it later today. Don't know who made the pickup, but I'd assume it was an OEM made import. All of the stock MM pickups in the TBC's I've owned have sounded great, so I've never changed them.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have one of these in trans-purple. Build quality and playability rival a real USA Stingray. No BS! This is a steal! Don't hesistate. Just buy it (and thank me later)!

Here is mine (just for grins).

20160127_204344_zpsrmdd5aaf.jpg

Orange Caesar and jtlee like this.
  10. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    SOLD

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Quadzilla likes this.