Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TBer meeting, Maui style

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Okay, this probably isn't as hot-button a topic as freebie gigs in the Bay Area, but I don't get to meet too many TalkBassers way out west where I live, so....the bassist in question is Larry Holloway, an all around cool guy who came to Maui to golf and hang. Larry is part of the elite fifths tuning club, so he didn't sit in, although he sounded absolutely fine when he played my conventionally strung La Scala for a few minutes on a break. We had good fun talkin' story for the last few days. BTW, WARMBUTTOCKS....Larry said to tell you to go perform a sexual act on yourself, and he said it with the greatest of love and admiration in his heart. :smug:

One interesting point for me was tonight...it seems that Larry was sufficiently impressed by the Animas on my bass to give them a try on his own bass (he's normally a Spiro guy). We'll see if he still wants to go for it in the light of day.....

2. Hey! I think this is way more important than freebie gigs in Bay area! Thanks for kind words Marcus. It was a real treat to run into you! You play your ass offs!! I can't believe the sound you get from your LaScala. No amp & you filled the hotel lobby. Incredible! No stool either...Did they build that ledge for you to set on? Did you get those CD's I sent? Do you have any of the Django band? OK.. no more questions..
    I'm still contemplating the Velvets. I woke up in the light of day. Actually Lemur music sent me a wrong set of Thomastiks a few months back, so if I can get some credit from them, I think I'll order a set of Velvets....

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Why, thank you, kind sir. It really was fun hanging out with you and the lovely missus. A very patient woman, I might add :smug:

All praise and credit have to go to Arnold and Wil for building a bass that can fill a big room with such a lovely sound. Everyone here already knows of my deep love affair with the La Scala; no need to go down that road again. Combined with the Velvets, well, I'm a happy guy.

They did build that ledge specifically for me; it's formally called "The Memorial Marcus Johnson Ass Altar".

I did get the CDs, and they are very cool (Alan Pasqua trio).
    I have some concerts to get out of the way over the next couple of weeks, and then I'm looking forward to digging into them. I have some of the Gypsy Pacific CDs, I'll send some out to you.

Take care, bro.

4. Please tell him to go back to the shed and cop some more of my licks........... :D

5. I would, but weren't you using 7 strings or something like that?
    That's as far as I can go Paul. I have too much respect for you as my true mentor :hyper:
    Hey Marcus: You should post your new promo pic of hands on bass!! Too funny! I think I still have it if you don't.

6. I'd do it myself, but I deleted it the minute I saw it.........

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sorry, Paul..try to keep your meal down...

8. I Love it!
    Paul: I really didn't go to Maui to play golf. There's a clinic there that Marcus told me about that adds appendages. You should really think about having one (?) added :D.

9. You know what I could say, but I won't.
    Larry, why not send the one with your face in it, so the cats can see what you look like?
    They've all seen Marcus.....I never could see Marcus......

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, c'mon, Larry....show 'em your game face!

11. OK. The surgery was a success. You should see how I pizz. & bow :D !

Attached Files:

12. HOLY ****! :spit:

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I still think that pic needs the beast from "Alien" spurting outta Larry's chest.