TB'ers, help me choose my new MTD535!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Aug 31, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i am leaning in one direction, but i am not entirely sure- i need you guys' help deciding the orientation of my upcoming MTD535- same piece of walnut- which way do you like the body better.. option # 1 :
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i much prefer option 2. to me, the grain pointing down will compliment the lines and contours of the body more.
  4. i like option one better it looks more um richer and it would make a nice bass body the other one looks nice but looks dry.
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Well, I'm assuming color differences are mainly due to the wetting down of the wood and maybe just the camera or lighting, since it's the same piece of wood, right?

I think I like #1 better. The overall effect with #2 is too much. #1 has more variety in the figuring it seems. It'd be a bit easier to make a decision if both angles were wetted down the same. :)

It's a stunning piece of wood either way though! :D grr, and your new F Bass too! If I hadn't just seen that CT at G Guitars you'd be upsetting my GAS meter!
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    same piece of wood. the difference is due to my adjusting the second pic- it just came out shaded differently
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I enjoy the look of the second option a lot more, but you lose a lot of the coolest figuring under the pickups and bridge. The first option has the majority of the cool figuring where it wouldn't be covered up. Hmmm.....I see I have been completely useless here :D
  8. what he said above
    either way it'll look like a piece of futniture :D

9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I like both, almost equally. option 2 is little more dramatic, as far as exotic figuring IMHO.
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I like #1...no particular reason. Just a gut reaction.

Why don't you put up a poll?
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    definitely #2

makes the most of the best figuring of that gorgeous slab o' wood.
  12. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    No. 2 by a slim margin. You could always choose both.
  13. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i like 1. not really sure why :)
  14. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    2...I like the way the grain direction goes with the body.
  15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    #1 for me, with a slim margin. I think the horns look better that way, and the body is good too.

#2 is perhaps more dramatic, but #1 more natural looking with regard to grain direction.

All IMHO, of course. Either way it will be beautiful!
  16. I like number 2 better. It's more dramatic and unique how the walnut follows the body shape. Don't know that I've seen that before.

Either will be beautiful!

17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Luuuuuke, go with the second one!
  18. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001

why? lemme tell you.

The figuring in #1 is actually more complementary to the shape than #2.
    This is because it follows the extremeties...ie, the horns. In number two the figuring follows the less prominent parts of the bass, and make the horns look less prominent in retrospect.
    Id much rather have the figuring follow the horns than the body itself as the body is gonna be cluttered up with strings and knobs and pickups anyway....so theyd break up the flow of the eye..while the horns would be the only part clear of clutter and would be very balanced if they had the flowy figuring....

i hope you understand and dont make the wrong decision.

then again, its all AMOI anyway, so go with what you like.