1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TBers in the Houston Area

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ZonGuy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    I know this doesn't really belong here, but for visibility sake.....

You may not hear from the Houston area TBers for more than a week or more after about 7 PM tonite. I live north of Houston and we lost power for 8 days after Alicia.

Ike is gonna be worse.

Kismet

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    good luck guys, i know a lot of you are headed up my way as i type this

3. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I'm holed up at my in laws in Huntsville. Head north if you can.

Good luck folks.

4. thycrusader

thycrusader

Apr 21, 2008
    Im in the Katy area, west oh downtown Houston. And from the forecast shows Ike ckeeps going ever so slowly in to the west and in our direction. We're planing on waiting it out. We've boarded up every window and even the doors so the only way out is the garage in case we have to evacuate immediately. It looks like this one is a serious one. Galveston looks like its going to be flattened. My prayers go out to them for everyone to be safe.

Its weird becuase everyone in my neighborhood seems to not have a care in the world. yesterday one neighbor had a party and today another neighbor rented a moonbounce for a kids party...I don't understand these people...

Well anyways good luck to the rest of the Houston/Galveston area TBers. Stay safe, have PLENTY of water and canned foods. And if possible keep your basses dry.

5. Be safe! I lived in Spring for a number of years, and still have clients and friends there. At least you are North.

Good luck and all the best,

Ken

6. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I live in Nassau Bay (NASA area just south of Houston proper) and we evacuated out to Ennis, just south of Dallas. Judging from the guys being blown around on the weather channel it looks like it is quite possible my home is in trouble. Grrr. I only took one bass too, and it wasn't my upright. We boarded up (minus one small window we didn't have wood for) and prepped as best we could but we didn't expect this kind of flood potential. My house is 14 feet above sea level and they are saying 18' to 20' surge at Nassau Bay. Keep in mind this is a good 40 miles inland from the coast.

7. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    I am back- alive and well. I live 40 miles north of Houston near the Woodlands. Most damage is downed trees, blown down signs. Flooding is gone. Further south is devastation, of course.

Most folks without power although nearby town has power today, so recharging my PC batteries. It may be weeks before we have power. No running water either for folks like me on well water. Scene at gas station was crazy when they got fuel. We had full tanks so we avoided that huge line.

Cell phone coverage is spotty. Texting works better.

Damage wise - large live oak tree disintegrated over my house but limited damage to house. New roof for house and garage in order.

All in all - I count my blessings.

I played an all-acoustic service for a church this morning on my upright since The Woodlands is totally without power. I hope my upright doesn't explode form the humidity.

Cool breeze from north is blowing which is most appreciated since no AC.

8. Glad you and your family are all right.

Best wishes to you and your neighbors!!

9. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Glad to hear you're OK, ZG. My neighborhood fared pretty well -- I just lost a couple of fences that needed to be replaced, anyway. We were without power for a couple of days, but left for San Antonio on Sunday. Power was restored when we got back on Tuesday.

But just a mile north of us, they got it pretty badly. Lots of trees down. Friends of ours got a tree through their roof and lost their family's beach house in Boliver.