Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TBer's suggestions for New Orleans

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by olivier, Mar 18, 2003.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Turns out that I'll be in the crescent city next week. Everything seems good over there: good food, good music, & good time rolling. Proly will have just enough time to check out a coupla spots. What are your suggestions especially to avoid falling in the tourist trap's ?

Anyone knows if Alvin Batiste is still around ? I use to have his "Music d'Afrique" (India Navigation) LP that I enjoyed a lot...

Thanks

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Maple Leaf is a must go for any artist.
    Very tasteful choice of events and not too touristic.

Bourbon is not that bad when you're not in the touristic season.

Try to go around the lake instead of downtown, lots of good stuff there.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Crescent City Brewhaus. Great beer, excellent food, and good jazz. They are really nice guys, and let me sit in quite a bit.

Cafe Maspero for the Mufaletta sandwiches, and an oyster Po' Boy from a little place off of Decataur that I can't remember the name of. Pearls for no nonsense cajun food (featured prominently in the Dave Robicheaux mysteries by James Lee Burke).

Oh yeah, and Cafe au lait and beniegts (sp?) at the famous place on the French Quarter that I can't seem to recall the name of. You'll find it though, they are always packed.

I love N'awlins.

Monte

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Thanks JA and Monte.

JA thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can get a cab to cruise around the Ponch...
    Monte, I followed your path re gut strings (eudo + oliv, don't regret it except for tuning stability) so won't be too tough to get in your footsteps in NO.

what about Donna's and Vaughn's ?

And this:

Moderators: maybe this is to go in Off Topic:

Are French persons welcomed in the US ?

Should I cancel ?

5. DNE

DNE

Feb 27, 2003
    atlanta
    Every time I go to NO, I try to get to the Funky Butt. Great music, very hip.

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Jason, this is the great post I was hoping for !

Re stupid arguments: sometimes you have to bear the random noise to fish out a good informative post like yours. Not everybody agrees on what noise is - and is not.

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Well, it is kind of a French/ mix culture there, so you should have a good time. In my experience it is a pretty accepting place.

I need to get back there, soon. I've spent a lot of time in Baton Rouge, but it has been almost 2 years since I've been back to New Orleans.

I envy you. You'll have a great time.

Monte

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    :rolleyes:

Monte

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Can't wait for my wife to get home, I'm gonna Freedom Kiss her for about an hour.

10. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    OK, cool, I go say hi to David & Roselyn on Royale

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just for the record. I'm french.

I've spent a lot of time in USA. Every time I've been there, people have been so nice to me it's almost ridiculous. Don't mix people and governments.

Americans have a very attractive personnality. Very different from old europeans. It's a completely different culture and nature.
    For some reason, they usually are insecure about what you think of them. If you let them know that you truly love their country, you'll be fine. Even in Mississippi and Texas.

I have had many stories and anecdotes happening to me in New Orleans, good and bad. A few of them ?
    - Women dig french accent. I've never nailed as much in my whole life as I did there.
    - I found my wife in USA. She lives near New Orleans.
    - I woke up with empty pockets and a terrible hangover on a dirty street in New Orleans. :) I survived to talk about it. Never drink more than 2 Hand Grenades.
    - I've jammed with great people. Just come to musicians with your bass, be polite, tip the hat and ask if you can play a tune or 2 with them. The answer usually is yes.

BUY GEAR ! Tourists don't pay taxes in Louisiana, or more exactly they get them back at the airport.
    This and very low US prices on gear make it the best place in the world for music shopping. Think strings. They can cut great prices if you take several. I'm talking 140 $ for 10 sets of Ernie Ball.
    You can get a lot of instruments and gear you couldn't even dream of in France, along with very low prices.
    Even Guitar Centers, considered crappy by US residents, will be a blast for you. DOn't be affraid to tour pawn shops. Remember that mains is different in USA, so if you buy a head make sure it's convertible. No problem for effects.

A few more things :
    - Tip people. We don't do it in France, but say, waiters and taxi cabs almost don't make money unless you tip them. If peopel don't get tipped they will get VERY angry, which is easily understandable.
    - Prices are almost always shown without taxes, even in restaurants, because they differ from state to state. Something to remember when you're short on money.
    - Have a VISA card, and make sure to unstuck the limits. I've been blocked several times with this. Credit cards have monthly, weekly and daily limits. If you reach the limit while other there, you'll be stuck in a foreign country with no money. Not exactly hip. Give a call to the bank guy before you go to make sure.

Have fun.

12. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Thanks Jazz Ad. Good advice. Got stranded once in Boston, with a Natl Bank of Detroit card ... :(

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Donna's great. saw Leroy Jones there. also Kermit Ruffin at Joe's Cozy Corner. The hot spot tonite is the Palm Court.

14. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Palm Court on Decatur is really nice place run by Nina. More Dixie type jazz oriented but food very affordable and less prone to give you gastroenteritis than average. Bassist Dereck Adams is a real character, with left hand thumb sticking out a la Slam Stewart. Peach suit w/ white suspenders, matching shoes and cap...