1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TB'ers who dont fill out profile

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by alembicguy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I get nervous about sales and trades with fellow TB'ers who dont fill out their profiles,it makes me gun shy.:meh:

Anyone else on here share my same worry?

2. On our Knife and Gun forum, you cannot browse or lurk until you register. Each registration must include a full name, location, etc. Keeping the rif raff out of our FS dealer areas is paramount.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    It's a bit boring when someone asks a question and you have no idea about the person in question. I often check out the profile before I answer. Often the info in the profile makes it easier to give a good answer. But it seems that more often than not, there is no info there.

I'm surprised about how few people fill in their profiles. It won't hurt anyone to put their age and equipment into the profile.

4. alembicguy

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I just feel that if you want to be part of a thing like TalkBass and use its perks such as classifieds you should at least list some info about yourself.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It doesn't take that long to do, so you might as well do it!

6. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Especially when they list an item for sale plus shipping or for local pick up and and they haven't at least fillied out their location. :confused:

7. alembicguy

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    +1

8. If you haven't bothered to put in at least some info in your profile, I assume you're a moron until you're able to prove otherwise.

Mike

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I have most everything in my profile, except my age and some pieces of gear, because I'm too lazy to update it.

I'm comparatively young and I've got nice gear. Instead of being called a liar, or spoiled, or whatever, I just leave the age blank. It makes people wonder and it gives me an edge. ;)

10. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    It annoys me if the profile doesn't have a gender stated, otherwise it's confusing as to what gender you are talking to. This therefore leads to usage of the wrong gender-specific pronoun.

11. My age is blank. A few months ago i referenced a movie that came out when I was in college and Mark Latimour picked up on my rough age. He was surprised. Apparently I displayed enough grizzled cantakerousness to make him think I was about 20 years older. I think others would argue that Im immature enough to pass for 15. So the age stays blank. I'm 33, BTW.

Mike

12. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    IMO registering at TB without populating your profile is like taking a poo and not bothering to wipe when you're done

sure, it can be done, but everybody benefits by you taking that last little effort to complete the job

:D

all the best,

R

13. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    That's a worthy signature!

14. alembicguy

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    LMAO!:D:D

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Same with ProSoundWeb.

16. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    What happened to your Avatar?

17. New rule.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    interesting that the majority of the folks in this thread don't even go by, or list, their real names, or even their first names. :eyebrow:;)

anything can be faked, tbh, and a full profile is no more revealing than an empty one when it's full of baloney.

a member's character can be best revealed by their posting history. it's the only way to really "get to know" someone online, barring actually meeting them in person.

19. +1

20. There are reasons for that, though. I began on this site without listing my full name because I had a habit of expressing my distaste for my job and a supervisor who frequently googled employee names to see if they were job hunting. I keep it semi anonymous because the internet is full of morons and I know have a coworker with a similar habit. Those that have had extreme pleasure of conversing with me via PM know my last name.

Very true. However, when discussing gear with an individual, I normally try to frame my response within the framework of their profile, when applicable. If they choose to fake it, then my advice is no good to them, but no skin off my back either.

Pretty true, but even then you're only getting to know what someone chooses to let you know.

Mike