TB'ers who know about wood work...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike Money, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I want to stain my squier p-bass... I already have the paint taken off of it... I will just need to get an electric sander and sand through this seal stuff to get to the wood so the stain will actually get in there....

I want to do either a burst of some kind... Like a tabacco brown, to a autumn red... Or I want to do like a rainbow with brown and red colors...

How would I go about doing this? And when I need to put a laquer coat or whatever on it, should I just take it to a furniture shop or someone else who knows what they are doing to do it?

I was thinking about putting this in Luthier's Corner, but I think I will get more responses and ideas if it is here.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that this would be better off in Setup, so I am moving it over there.
  4. Oh Mike, mike, mike... ;)

This process is a very ambitious thing to take on without previous experience. Getting a good painted finish on a bass is very difficult and a burst is about 10 times harder. My advice is to do a lot of research from lots of sources before starting.

There are at least two ways of doing a burst finish. The first is to use sprayed dyes directly on the body after prep and then sealing in the color with a clear coat. The second is to prep the body and apply the clearcoat and then use transparent lacquers on top of the clear the create a little more depth, then clearcoat to seal it all up. This is the Fender method. Choosing which one will depend on the wood, the look you want, and the use of the proper materials if you can get them.

One thing you definitely should do is get over the MIMF forum at www.mimf.com, register, and get into the archives for discussions concerning this exact subject. There, you will have the collective experience of hundreds of money-making luthiers to draw from. I know this because I use the MIMF regularly.

You might also try this resource:

Not only do they supply great finishing products for guitars, they have a good amount of tips and tricks to get from their site. Be sure to look at the samples of customers work to get an idea of how well it can be done with Reranch products.

Hope this helps
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Thanks for the links... I got some reading to do to night... and another reason not to do my Bio home work...w00t!

OK, so... burst is a pain in the ass...

How about starting with a color, doing a few coats of that, and then start doing over tones with other colors so it gets slightly darker towards the top, but isn't really a burst... would that be easier?
  6. Take it from a long time airbrush artist, the effect you're describing is the most difficult to get correct without going muddy. First attempts usually wind up looking like a Bossa bass than a a burst. Using rattle cans is even harder because of the lack of fine control. However, you'll see by the examples on the Reranch site that it can be done pretty darn well.

Good Luck!
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Get some different colored sharpies, and color your bass. Then add a coat of lacquer ;).