1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TB'ers who post alot and just vanish

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I was thinking about the TB'ers who show up, post a ton (and sometimes buy lots of new expensive basses to post) then just vanish. It seems to happen frequently. I wonder what the reasons are for their quick arrival and quick departure? Family issues, health problems, jailtime...who knows...

There are a few that stand out in my mind, but I guess I'll just post this thread and see if anyone has any info they can post about forlorn TB'ers!

W

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Banned mostly! :p

3. Most common issue - Getting banned.

Also a common issue, going in the huff because people dont like you barging in acting like you've been here forever and your everyones best friend

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think what happens most commonly is that people think that as it is all anonymous - they can post any old rubbish they care to make up about themselves and get away with it! :eyebrow:

Whereas in reality they inevitably get 'caught out' - then either get banned when they kick up a fuss, leave out of embarassment and/or change username!

5. I imagine some of it is people who have a day job with lots of down time to surf the net. They burn the time on TB. Then they get a new job without this spare time and are gone.

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    BTW, I've only been here about a month, and I've already paid for a "Gold" membership. I can't seem to help barging into every thread and making often-irrelevant comments before moving on to the next one.

This: :hyper: really ought to be my avatar.

And did I mention that I just LOVE mohawks, I think they're the coolest! Can I touch yours?

7. Difference between posting irrelevant comments and trying to act like you've always been here ;)

And you can if you want, its down my trousers tho :eek:

8. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I first began doing the "online" forum thing back in about 1992. I say "online," but this was in the days of the computer BBS, and you weren't really "online" but for the few moments it took to download the latest QWK packets from the FIDO forums, etc. You weren't actually "online," you grabbed the stuff, then you had a sort of offline "newsreader" that you used to read through the threads, posting your comments as you went.

Then, at some point in time (usually prescribed by the BBS SysOp), you were allowed to reconnect and toss your mail packets containing all your replies back to the system. Eventually, through a regularly scheduled series of BBS-to-BBS transfers, the forums were all updated. The next day, you could go grab another batch and go through the whole routine again.

And it went on from FIDONet to the Internet (usually through BBS "gateways," at first), etc.

I have wasted entire YEARS of my life on electronic forum participation on everything from religion to politics to various hobbies to music-making (Spent about five whole years as a frequenter of the rec.music.* hierarchy on Usenet).

So when I discovered TalkBass, and decided to become a regular "contributor" (although I freely admit I have little to offer in return for the information I take away - hence the desire to throw some money into the pot), well, yeah, it does feel like I've been here for years.

The online social dynamic hasn't really changed much in the nearly 20 years of electronic amusements that I've been involved with. Hope that those of you who feel that de facto "n00bs" like us are being a bit cheeky might see it from that perspective.

9. Maybe they realize TB sucks all their time and money???

LOL I know I have felt that problem. :)

10. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I was around when the whole NTB thing was happening, that was interesting...

I've been wondering where the camel has gone, haven't seen him on here for quite a while...

And I am REALLY gonna miss morf. Silly Frenchman made my day most times I logged on here, but in the end the only fate for him was the permaban...

11. Well, Yngwie is gone because he's busy playing guitar and scoring with hot chicks. Uggg, I'm ashamed to admit he lives in the same state as me and knowing the metal kids, he's equally as annoying as the rest.

12. Yup. He just dropped.

Mike

13. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    In my short year here, I've noticed that most of the ones that post a lot have very strong opinions and can't help but express them no matter how offensive or rude they are to someone else... they call it "intelligent disagreement". But do you walk into a party and meet people you don't know then immediately start disagreeing with them and calling them out?:eyebrow: That person doesn't get invited to any more parties...

14. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Welcome to the internet.

15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    This is not meant as a joke.

Anyone notice that there seems to be an influx of TBers dying? It's aweful.

16. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Yeah, they all really had a lot of helpful input in the relevant parts of TB like the Amps and Basses threads. :rolleyes:

17. Not that I'm one of those "post a lot people," but I took a long break from Talkbass because I had no money to spend on gear and the Classifieds section was too tempting. Now my willpower is stronger. I'm sure others just got a big kick out of TB at first and just dropped off because they got busy with other things.

I post more now than I did before I took a year or two off.

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I've seen it happen on other types of message boards, too. Sometimes, I think it's due to people suddenly having a big void in their life to fill--whether from losing a job, splitting with a spouse/SO, etc.--and some fill it by going whole-hog into a certain thing for a while before burning out or suddenly having less free time again (i.e. getting a life :D).

I'm trying to be one of the steady-eddie types who sticks around for a long time (both on TB and elsewhere). But my total 'Net time is definitely higher than it should be right now, I need to cut back.

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Agree with this, sounds reasonable.

20. FPS

FPS

Dec 17, 2006
    Ohio
    I have another theory. I think Aliens homing into the low frequencies coming from the bass. We're slowly being abducted one by one.

I've been seeing some UFO's lately...:help: