1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TBird vs Blackbird...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wannabroksta, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Epiphone Gloss Black Standard TBird (Not Goth)

39 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Nikki Sixx Blackbird

18 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Carrots

21 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. I'm looking a buying an Epiphone (can't afford Gibson:crying: ) TBird. But I'm not sure whether to go standard TBird (Gloss Black) or a Nikki Sixx Blackbird...:bassist:

2. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    i think the black bird is pretty tacky (thats sounds bad) but it looks too over-done. I saw go for the standard black T-Bird and throw a black pick-guard on there (if you want to). The blackbird only has an on/off switch and the standard has 3 knobs so keep that in mind.

3. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Depends what you are going to do with it!

The Blackbird is an 'on or off' bass - no volume or tone control, just a switch it's either 100% or 0% soundwise.

If you NS is a hero of yours then this may be the bass for you.

However, if you are looking for a bass where you have a bit of control over volume of both pups and a seperate tone control and in particular if this is going to be a main bass, then the regular Epi T'Bird is the one for you!

4. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Standard T-bird.

I'd be lost without a tone knob. I turned down a silly good deal on a Fender Hoppus model last year because it didn't have one.

5. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    I know what you're saying, on my home-made guitar all ive got is a tone knob! DEATH TO VOLUME CONTROL!!! :p :D

6. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    what is an "Opti Grab" handle?

7. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I'm never a fan of "signature" models, unless it's my own.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The Jerk reference

9. the opti grab handle is to hold the cable...just a gimic

10. T-Bird-controls = happiness in the long run. Or all yr bass'll sound the same :-(

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Buy an older Greco TBird. Much nicer then the Epi's and much closer to the Gibsons in design. Very high quality axe. Show up on Oz ebay regularly, and importing from Japan (where you're most likely to find one) is about $A150 and a snap.