TC Amp owners, what are your favorite TonePrints

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CTBassGuy, Apr 4, 2018.

1. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Hey TC Owners,

I've been messing with various TonePrints on my BH-250 (a great little amp, btw), and there are so many out there that I just can't take the time to try them all out.

So what are your favorite TonePrints and what styles/songs do you use them for?

Right now I've been using the Bass Drive, "TubeDrive" to give an approximation of my much heavier Ampeg V4B (literally, 10x the weight of the BH-250 :D), and Flanger, "Classic Flanger" for some variety for songs like The Church's "Under the Milky Way". They are pretty vanilla, but functional.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

funkinbottom likes this.
  2. Toneprints? I wish. I'm rocking an RH-450. Where are my prints TC??

3. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Bump; is no one using TonePrint on their TC amps?

And sorry to hear that your RH does not have the capability, @CNYlowEND . Not sure the time frame of release for that amp, but must have been prior to the TonePrint functionality.

4. glennreid

glennreid

Aug 14, 2017
    fort worth
    I'm using comp in the middle and comp and drive but mostly I can run this amp flat and that sounds good I have a BG 250 112

5. Definitely prior to the toneprints, but I'm not really complaining. The RH series has it's perks.

6. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks @glennreid; I haven't tried the compressor yet. With my fretless basses I probably do not need it, but with my fretted PRS SE Kestrel (J type), it might come in handy.

No one else using a TC Tone print capable amp?

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I sometimes use a BH250. I like the TubeDrive, the Duff Chorus, and the Sweet Minger (Mark King’s chorus). I also have the pedal, which lets me switch between the two most recently loaded prints. Pretty cool!

8. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I'll have to try the Chorus prints. I was not a fan of the basic TC Chorus, but these might be more interesting.

I have a foot switch as well; a really excellent addition to the amp to be able to switch between 2 loaded Tone Prints on the fly. The Mute is gold too! Of note, I did not get the TC Switch3, I bought a Digitech FS3X foot switch for 1/2 the price of the TC and it works exactly the same.

ctmullins likes this.
  9. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    There are a bunch that I like, but the one's I use the most are the SpectraComp, SpectraComp' N' Drive, and Classic Chorus. But I also like messing with A little Grit, Funk Under Water, and Phase Traveler just to name a few.

And although the RH heads came out before the TonePrint amps, the SpectraComp and TubeTone are actually built into the amp, not as an effect, but more to make the amp actually react more like a tube amp. Very cool.

funkinbottom likes this.
  10. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    For the projects I do, I only use a couple of the prints. I've been using some of the octave stuff. I like the Old School and Clean Octave. Occasionally I use the Classic Flanger, and for chorus I've kindda been diggin' the Duff Chorus.

11. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I got a chance to try a number of prints this evening, including those you've suggested.

As @glennreid said above, though, the amp is really great just clean, too. Here's what are now listed as Favorites and my thoughts:

• The Staircase Flange: Similar to Classic Flange, but with a little bit of grit it seems
    • Funk Under Water: This is really cool; I doubt I'll use it as part of a song with the classic rock band I'm in now, but it's fun for soloing and noodling
    • Duff Chorus: Much better than the Classic Chorus to my ear
    • Classic Flanger
    • Clean Octaver: just to have in the tank
    • Octave Phaser: I had this one on the longest; really fun and interesting sound. Might be useful for some 90's rock lines that need some more bottom end (wondering if I might use it on Black from Pearl Jam...)
    • SpectraComp: Not sure if I'll need this, but I tried it on my Carvin fretless and really did not seem to do much, which is not really surprising. I may try it with my PRS SE Kestrel (fretted J-style), as our lead guitarist thought it had a bit of a sharp attack vs the other two (go figure... ;))
    • SpectraComp N' Drive: As above with the Kestrel
    • The Grind: Just in case
    • Tube Drive: A good tube amp sound; seems to be my go to setting on the BH250 most of the time
    • Vintage Phaser
    • Vintage Vibe

ctmullins likes this.
  12. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    I bought a BH800 last month. I like the spectracomp. I mostly play passive P and PJ basses through it, and it has a profound effect, to my ears. I like it.

The footswitch has been on backorder (everywhere) for at least a month! Why?!

13. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    @Pet Politics , I bought a Digitech FS3X footswitch for $35 from reverb, and it works exactly the same as the TC branded one. They are in stock at most online sellers, so you may want to give that one a try.

Pet Politics likes this.
  14. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Hi everyone

I have a TC electronic BG 250-115 amp combo with 2 tone print channels. I have various jazz basses and a Ricki lookalike HB PB-414CS.

Has anyone got suggestions for a tone print that comes reasonably close to the Geddy Lee sound. I am intending to try the Spectra comp tones when I get back at the weekend.

The Geddy sound is a topic that has been much discussed on the I own a Harley Benton bass forum here on talkbass.

Thanks in advance

15. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Given the split and then blended circuits that Geddy seems to use (clean lows and high-gain with some distortion highs) it may be hard to achieve with just 1 TonePrint. A lot of Geddy's tone comes from how he plays too (digs in pretty much all the time).

I'd probably start with The Grind or Tube Drive and work with the EQ settings to see how that goes.

Good luck!

16. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Many thanks for that.

I also have some pedals so I may have to dust them off. Maybe I'll just have to save up for a Geddy YYZ unit.
    Maybe I'll just have to use his guitars, his rig and his fingers :bassist:

CTBassGuy likes this.
  17. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    :laugh::thumbsup:

The Sansamp YYZ pedal was my first thought after I saw your question. It really does capture his tone well

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021