1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Classic450...What is the normal amount of hiss?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jibreel, May 1, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    After living solely in the world of acoustic image amplification, I recently purchased a new rig: TC Classic 450 and a Bergantino AE112. Killer stuff!

When both the gain and master volume controls are turned up significantly, there is more hiss than I'm used to hearing, especially compared to the acoustic image system.

The hiss is only really noticeable when the volume controls are up high which I realize will not often be the case but I just wanted to check would you experts to make sure that nothing is wrong with my TC amplifier. My bass is not plugged in when I am making these comparisons

So, increasing the gain control increases the hiss more noticeably than the master control. The hiss increases more noticeably as the dials are turned from 6-10. Obviously I will not be playing with both knobs at 8 or 10, I just wanted to make sure that my amp is not producing more hiss than usual.

One other thing: when I turn the gain control, I hear this glitchy sound artifact. Kind of like a quiet crackling/popping electrical sound. Similar to what one hears with a dirty volume or tone pot on a bass, but with a crackling sound. Once I stop moving the knob, this sound is completely gone. Anybody else have this on their classic 450?

Any feedback on these two questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    For the former, run a MB head. Your TC will sound quieter ;)

For the latter, I think it is a "feature" of a class D amp. Do you have any signal running through the amp when you rotate the gain?

3. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks. A little clueless here. Assuming you mean the MB has more hiss....

And again, I will probably never have the amp up very highl. Just want to make sure my amp is not defective.

No signal. just amp on with speaker plugged in. Again, there is no glitchy sounds other than when I turn the knob.

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think your amp might be defective, mine is dead quiet, no artifacts no hiss at all; and mine was a B-stock model.
    Unless it's a problem with you electricity, speaker cable, current or something else.

5. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Does yours have any hiss, even when you turn the gain and master all the way up?

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't know, there's no reason to turn any of those knobs all the way up.

7. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I know that there is no reason. Just as a test. I do not have hiss when the volume is in the normal range, just when it is turned above normal. This may just be how these amps work.

Thanks

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    tried the gain and then volume full on, no hiss at all.:)

9. How is your EQ set? High freq. boosted?

10. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    All set at 12:00.

11. MRSKI

MRSKI Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    SEATTLE
    Try turning down the tweeter on the Bergi AE112. They are very sensitve and reducing it slightly should make a big difference in the amount of hiss that is heard.

12. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I tried a TC RH450 at a store, I guess its close enough to the Classic.
    With gain and master maxed, into a RS410, it does hiss.
    But no noise when turning the pots.

13. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Tried an RH450 at Bass NW today and it does both. Sound artifact when turning the gain and hiss at high levels. I guess it is not big thing. No hiss and anywhere near the gain levels I play at.