1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TC Electronic BG250 115 - unpleasant vibration on the lows

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jorgedcp, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Jorgedcp

Jorgedcp

Mar 14, 2017
    Hi,

this is my first post here, although I know the forum since a while, and always found useful things.

I have an issue with my amp, a TC electronic BG250 115, which I bought less than a year ago, and before sending it to customer service I would like to ask if anybody else had the same issue.

Some weeks ago I noticed a very annoying vibration while playing, specially on the E string. I don't remember exactly how it was at the very beginning but I have the feeling that it became worst with the time.

I asked my bass teacher and he gave me the hint it might be something in the room I play in, which might vibrate at certain frequencies.

So today I tried to play in 3 different rooms but the vibration is still there so it must come from the amp.

Next thing I did was playing with the volume and found out the vibration appeared when going over volume 2 out of 10 which is not much.

Then I played with the EQ. Mids and trebble had no influence on the vibration but it was gone when I pulled the lows all the way down to -5. By doing so I could go up with the volume without vibraton.

So to sum up: it seems like something is wrong with my amp when it takes to low frequencies.

My standard setting, in which the vibration was already quite annoying, is gain 5/10, volume 2.5/10, lows +1,5, mids neutral, treble +1,5. I don't think in this conditions something like this should happen...

Any experiences like this?

Thanks and regards,

Jorge

2. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    What exactly do you mean by vibrations on the low? Are you hearing rattling around the speaker, inside the box, around the head? Are you hearing distortion? Are you hearing objects rattle nearby? Have you tried checking to see if all the screws are tight around the cabinet, speaker, head, and grill? Could there be a wire vibrating against the speaker? What have you looked for?

3. Jorgedcp

Jorgedcp

Mar 14, 2017
    Hi,

thanks for your answer!

I mean the vibration starts when increasing the low frequencies (bass) in the EQ, or increasing the volume. Changes in the middle and treble knob in the EQ make no difference in the vibration. I cannot identify were exactly the vibration is coming, from but it is certainly coming from the amp, not from any objects around.

I checked all the screws and the grill, from outside everything seems fine. I did not open the cabinet in case this would affect the warranty.

I tried to record some audio, I did it with my tablet so the quality is miserable but I hope it helps in getting an idea of what I mean by "vibration".

I played on the E string with the bass EQ knob down to the -5, at neutral position and at +5, volume was around 3 all the time.

Thanks,

Jorge

4. Jorgedcp

Jorgedcp

Mar 14, 2017
    Short update:

I sent it to customer service, they told me some screws inside were loose. They sent it back to me with lots of transportation damages and whats is even worst, not repaired at all. So I am getting my money back now and buying something else somewhere else.

AlexanderB likes this.
  5. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    wow , saf yo hear that , i personally own a tc bh250 head and have owned the 1x12 and 1x15 versions of the bg250 , i think i had a similar issue with the 12 and ended up being a speaker issue ... i bought it at guitar center and had the pro coverage so they took care of the repairs and shipping cost and all ... it took about a month but its been solid since ...

6. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Put the combo on its side, still an issue?

7. Jorgedcp

Jorgedcp

Mar 14, 2017
    I don't have anymore so I cannot check...

AlexanderB likes this.
  8. IIRC, TCE uses a crappy butyl sealant caulk (the sticky black goo that was used to seal windshields in the 70s) underneath the metal grill. After much Goo Gone and elbow grease I put velcro strips down around the circumference of the grille and tightened it down.

Voila! No more rattling.

YMMV.