1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic BG250 brand new or a used SWR Super Redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jZildjianZj, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jZildjianZj

jZildjianZj

Sep 21, 2013
    Hi!

Okay...I am going to explain my situation here first, then ask my question(s).

Let me mention first, I am a drummer (30 years), not yet a bass player. I just started to learn this craft.

I just bought an American Standard Jazz bass; 2012 model. I also bought a brand new TC Electronic BG250 bass combo amp. The TCE has a 15" speaker along with a 1" tweeter, and has 250 watts of power.

Well, my friend has a SWR Super RedHead that he is giving to me. I just have to have it shipped from Minnesota to California.

I really do not know anything about bass combo amps besides what I can read on the internet and what YouTube has to offer....

I know what the TC Elecronic sounds like, but have never heard a RedHead in action....hold those comments please! ;)

The TCE BG250 has great reviews, but I do read that the RedHead is a great combo amp!

I'm not all that thrilled with the TCE, though the reviews are high. I know that if you buy an amp, you should play through it first to make sure that is what you want. I didn't do this with the TCE. I just went by reviews.... The SWR, I haven't even seen it yet...but it is free, plus the shipping.

Anyhow.... I want to get opinions between the two. What is better, what the characteristics between the two are....I just want to know what is best overall. Like I said before, I am just learning the bass; I only know the E major scale by heart....that is where I am at. I know the SWR is a heavy mo-fo, where the TCE is 35 pounds.

If I return the TCE, I have to send it back before 30 days, other words I am stuck with it. I bought it from www.zzounds.com
    Time is an issue for me; the 30 days is counting down.

I hope this makes sense to you all!

Thank you very much ahead of time! I appreciate everything anyone says, unless it is a stupid @$$ answer!

Best regards,
    Mike

2. Totally different leagues. The SWR sold for $1750? It's a solid piece of pro gear. Tube pre-amp.

Just like you couldn't go by online hearsay on the BG250, I don't see how you can go by online hearsay on the SWR.

You're not thrilled with the BG250. The SWR is "free" (shipping will probably be $150-200). IMO send back the BG250 and see if the SWR thrills you.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I suspect it will thrill him.

Don't push the speakers. It's a combo amp, not a stack.

But with a bit of care it will play almost any near reasonable volume gig you get

4. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    I have tried the TC, but not the red head.

I didn't like the sound of the TC. It was kinda boring sounding.

I have tried other SWR gear and liked what I heard.

Maybe the TC isn't your cup of tea! Maybe the Redhead won't be either. You will find out soon enough. If you don't like the Redhead you can sell it to get something that toots your whistle.

Everybody likes what they like, you will find your sound, don't worry.

Good luck, bro!

5. Yes simple, if you are not thrilled with the TC send it back. No point in paying for something you are not happy with, that happens enough with things we have been given no choice in.
    If the SWR doesn't tickle you either you can easily sell it and get more than the shipping charges.

6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I have several amp setups - but the BG250 has become my go-to amp for gigs with the cover band I am in. The light weight, good volume, and ability to add an effect with the Toneprint just make it super convenient. Why exactly are you "not thrilled" with it?

I see the SWR is 80 lbs! No way would I carry around anything that heavy, but I have a bad back and shoulder.

7. jZildjianZj

jZildjianZj

Sep 21, 2013
    I also think that the TCE is kind of boring too.

Granted, I am very new to bass playing, and I have a looooot to learn about...well, everything that goes with the craft.

I have a sound in mind, and I know the bass does make a difference too. I have a funny feeling a GK 115 amp might be the answer...but then, this is an uneducated feeling.

Shipping it back would cost a tad under $100 if it was through FedEx; going to New Jersey. The SWR is about $85 from Minnesota. I live in California.

As for pushing the speakers, heck, I am just learning right now. I don't want to embarrass myself!! lol

If for some reason I do not like the SWR, my friend will take it back, and he will pay for the shipping. I am paying for it to come to me.

Maybe down the line after I hear a bunch of amps, that the TCE actually will be okay....but right now, it is just not doing it for me.

All in all though, I am getting a free SWR Super RedHead (minus shipping).

Can you please tell me what difference I will notice between having two 10" speakers versus one 15" speaker. I've never needed to buy speakers before besides a JBL monitor for my drums. So I have no experience between what two 10's against one 15 would be like....and the tweeters that are embedded with them.

Everyone, thank you very much for responding! I do appreciate it!

Lookin' forward to more input.

Best regards,
    Mike
    :bassist:

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes the RedHead is heavy but it is a PRO piece of gear. I agree it's in a different league but the TC is a very good combo for the money and it's nice and light. The RedHead will cut through on loud stages though, I've heard it up close and personal more than a few times.

9. The size of the speakers is not a concern. The design of the speakers and how well the box they are in is designed for them matters more. As far as sound output the 210 and 115 have roughly the same ability for sound pressure. Speakers are electromechanical not acoustic like bass drums.

If you don't like the TC you don't like the TC, check ground rates online with both FedEX and UPS. The G-K may work for you but you won't know until you play one.
    Best advise is play (with your own bass) before you pay. If someone offers a classic amp, get it and try it.

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I keep my RedHead at home and use an Eden 1 10 for anything that requires travel.

11. jZildjianZj

jZildjianZj

Sep 21, 2013
    Thanks everyone!

I sold the TC Electronic amp (made a $1.50 profit), and am now waiting to get the SWR from Minnesota. It's being shipped from there to California.

Best to you all!!

Mike
    =)