1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic BQ500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wizard65, Nov 10, 2018.

1. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    Any Members own or have tried the new BQ500?. I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts.
    Seems like a great deal.

handjyve and Direct Box Rox like this.
  2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    4353F420-775C-4FDB-B26B-5FC91E149B14.

Got mine today. It is fantastic. Set it flat and put the volume at 9 o’clock through my Bergantino 610 and it sounded awesome. I’ll gig it next weekend through my PJB cabs and get a good idea of how it performs in a real world setting. But so far it seems like the best deal available for a bass amp dollars to watts.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I did not engage the thrust compressor as I don’t usually use on board compressors. I have good ones on my boards so it’s not anything ide use.

4. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    Good to hear, here in Australia they’re about 35% cheaper than a Fender Rumble 500 head, very tempting.

armybass likes this.
  5. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn

Dec 20, 2014
    Hungary
    Is the passive/active switch still altered? How loud is the fan?

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  6. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    And to think back in the 90's I think I spent $1000 (for each one and I ran two at the same time) Eden WT-300's. Then when I went to buy a used SVT II Pro it was $999 (and the herniated discs came free). Now for $249 you can get 500 watts & the thing fits in my briefcase? Perfect!

armybass likes this.
  7. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    Got mine earlier this week. The active/passive switch seems to be reversed and I wonder about the whole gain circuit. I'm working (very slowly) with TC and Sweetwater to try to resolve.

I'm a newbie to bass so please tell me if this unit is screwy or if I just don't know what I'm doing.

I have a passive bass - Fender Squier Jazz. When I set the passive/active switch to passive, master volume off, pickup volume all the way up, I can turn the gain knob all the way up without clipping. Switch to active and it starts to clip almost immediately above 'off' on the gain. This seems backwards to me. The active position should decrease the gain, correct? Not increase it.

But beyond that, if it were a simple switch position, the correct passive setting should have some movement of the gain knob before clipping, correct? Or is it appropriate to run the guitar volume knobs at less than full to control this?

TC is saying to send it back to retailer. Sweetwater tech support is too backed up to talk to me, which is not the response I typically get from SW.

All that aside, it is very loud and bright. The Thrust (compressor) takes out some of the brightness. Still working on the EQ to get a sound I like. Cabs - Acme Low B1 or pair of home built 112s.

8. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    OK. So Sweetwater is taking it back. But they don't have another to replace it with. They do have the BQ250 in stock for fifty bucks cheaper. Same size box, almost the same weight, all the same bells and whistles. But I don't have enough experience to know whether 250w is enough, although given the power of the 500, I suspect it will be plenty. I'm playing blues/rock and classic country. I'm confident it will be enough for the country but the blues drummer gets pretty loud. I've played though an Ampeg PF350 with this drummer and that worked fine.

Is 250 enough? Or should I wait on the 500? Or something else...

9. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I'd wait for another 500 model.
    When were these introduced? Im interested in one for in the house and as a backup, seems like a bargain.

10. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    They're brand new. I can get a 500 for the same price at Musician's Friend. They say they'll test before shipping...

11. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn

Dec 20, 2014
    Hungary
    I've just found a review finally :) As far as i see, the gain isn't that sensitive in this video. Clipping light barely visible at full gain.

And what the guy says, my sound comes from my board's preamp, so a transparent nothing fancy amp is just what i'm looking for...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  12. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    But shouldn't it be clipping? To crank the gain all the way up with no clipping? It looks like a passive bass, and the selection switch is on passive. But isn't it acting like the switch is on active? My unit will do the same thing. But on the active setting, the gain is much more pronounced and clips immediately. I think it should be the opposite. Obviously it can be used in this manner but isn't it labelled backwards? Or am I being stupid?

13. Npunk42

Npunk42

Jun 20, 2016
    Yes it should clip at some point, that's when you back it off a bit for maximum drive without the artifacts. I saw a review somewhere in which the reviewer stated his input toggle was reversed. Passive bass active setting= anemic tone and volume at maximum instrument volume setting. Active bass with passive toggle, clipping at low instrument volume setting. Sounds like a batch of amps made it out the door with that anomaly. On the bright side, you got it from Sweetwater, they'll make it right. On the brighter side, you might hang on to it as a collectors item. That's too bright. Send it back.

14. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    The early 250 were backwards also.

15. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    Does anyone have a 500 or 250 that is NOT backwards?

16. Npunk42

Npunk42

Jun 20, 2016
    No reply a day later. I don't know why it gave me a chuckle.

17. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    I asked TC the same question. Got the same silence...

Sonicblaze and Npunk42 like this.
  18. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn

Dec 20, 2014
    Hungary
    As far as i see all of the shops are out of stock from BQ500 and BQ250 and they are waiting for the next batch. Maybe those units will be "fixed".

19. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    TC has responded. They have heard of another unit with the same problem. They're looking into it.

Sweetwater is going to replace it when (if) they get one that is correct.

seamonkey and SleepyJohn like this.
  20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It would be smart for them to actually do a quick hands on check at the end of the assembly line. These are just simple heads with nothing complicated. A quick sanity test would have found this.

billybaddog likes this.