1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic BQ500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wizard65, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    I just got my BQ500 as well. I, too, have the same issue with the reversed active/passive switch. I also notice that the Thresh led remains lit when the compressor switch is turned on, even when not playing. Is that normal? I thought it would only light when the signal reaches the point of compression.

2. chicoLow

chicoLow

Aug 3, 2018
    Absolutely! But apparently they never see them before they ship.

3. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    Trying to see if its worth returning to GC. I called them and they do not know when new units will be received.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Mine has the reverse active/passive and I don’t seem to find it to be a real problem. I also don’t use the Thrust option either. But for good clean transparent power, it serves me well for an unbeatable price.

Artman likes this.
  5. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    Yeah, this is where I'm really torn. Keep it and live with the reverse switch (and maybe a Thrust issue as we're not sure its truly an issue yet) or return it. I can exchange for a new one but it will not guarantee I'd get one from the new "fixed" batch as GC online still has the original batch in stock. OR I go for something different all together like a Peavy Minimax or Fender Rumble 500. They seem comparable in wattage but not too much more money.

6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Just for the record I considered both of those. I had a friend with the Peavey, my first choice and he said the fan was so loud on it he sold and a local friend with the Rumble who had it crap out in a gig. So nothing is a sure fire fix I guess.

7. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    So, i wrote Peavey today asking them if they addressed the loud fan issue in their latest run of the Minimax and i actually got this response:

Hello,

Newer units have a quieter fan. Since this was a running change then we don't know exactly when that happened.

Thanks,

8. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    There is a review of one of the new BQ amps on YouTube and the guy states the exact same problem you have - with the active/passive switch reversed. He asked that if someone from TC Electronic could explain it to him why its set up like that or he thought maybe they just made an error when manufacturing the particular head they sent him. But now you are saying you have the exact same problem. So maybe there is some rhyme & reason why they have it this way?

*** EDIT *** I just saw where somebody already posted the YouTube video I was referencing so nevermind :)

angrydad likes this.
  9. Npunk42

Npunk42

Jun 20, 2016
    If a reversed toggle is worst thing to be said about the BQ series, I can call that an overall positive. What concerns me now is nobody has truly embraced the Thrust compression. Is it that bad or is it that blah.

10. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Just posted a review, check it out!

11. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn

Dec 20, 2014
    Hungary
    Where did you post that review? :)

12. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    SleepyJohn likes this.
  13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Has anyone had a chance to try out the new batch (if they're out yet) to see if this "unique feature" remains?

14. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn

Dec 20, 2014
    Hungary
    Hopefully mine will arrive at the end of this week. I'm going to write about the features if i get it :)

PSPookie likes this.
  15. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    i got a bq250 a few weeks ago , the active / passive switch is reversed , the compressor light stays on the whole time when activated , peak light comes with little gain , but i notice no issues with the sound ... the amp operates very good and normal to my ears , is not according to the manual in some things but after talking to customer service from tc they made me do some testing and said everything is working the way is supposed to ....

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  16. Just like my compatriot I'm expecting mine within a week (along with a second TCE RS112). Unfortunately I don't have any gigs lined up where I could give them a run for their money but I'll certainly also check the Active/Passive issue. Who knows, maybe one day these will fetch a premium like botched first stamp and coin pressings :)

bpmben and Direct Box Rox like this.
  17. Just got mine today but only had about 10 minutes to try it a bit. I ran it through first one then two TCE RS112s (so 8 and then 4 Ohms) using a Cort B5. My initial impressions:
    • seems plenty loud for what I got it for (I have the TCE BG250-208 and was worried about lack of volume after my experience with it. The 208's volume I found too low even with one of the RS112s used as an extension cabinet). With no real experience with head/cab rigs I had no idea what to expect from 500 W through two 200W cabs. I was not disappointed, this thing has power, even with just one cab at 8 Ohms.
    • The gain stage is quirky - peak light comes on on every note even with gain all the way down with the A/P switch off (mine has the infamous labeling issue as well). With the switch up I can't bring the light on no matter how hard I try. Sounds good, so no issue there at all. Will try with another bass when I get the chance.
    • I hadn't had a chance to play too much with the EQ but the sound is great with all 4 at noon (I think this is fairly typical of TCE's neutral behavior). Tweaking the levels a bit brings much more pleasing results than the 208's EQ section - YMMV but I always struggle to get an optimal sound out of the little combo
    • The Thrust compressor I need more time to figure out. Not much experience with compressors so far so can't really compare but there were no drastic changes in sound up to 9 o'clock. The 'Threshold' light stays on all the time Thrust is engaged no matter how softly I play or how low I turn the gain.
    My experience is pretty much in line with what others have shared. At first look I'm happy with the purchase but take this with the grain of salt that I had previously only used a 50W Peavey combo for 30 years (with 4 -6 piece rock & oldies bands) and the small TCE 208 for the last year or so with unamplified acoustic instruments (guitar, flute) so have never had abundant stage volume.

Artman and Direct Box Rox like this.
  18. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    I just compared volume/output between my bq500 and my Fender BRX300R, and I don't know if Class D power is rated differently, but there is a VERY obvious volume/output difference between the two. The Fender is hella-loud by comparison when played through the same cab setups. Maybe the Fender is just UNDER rated? I dig the sound of the BQ soooooo much more than the BXR though. So, I now have the BQ (direct out) plugged into the power amp in of the BXR and getting the best of both worlds.

Anyone else experience lack of power from theirs versus other amps?

Gregy likes this.
  19. Gregy

Gregy

Sep 21, 2017
    That's my first amp, I can't compare, but I also dig the sound!
    Fender amp seems like only has one volume control, no gain , maybe that's the reason?

20. Gregy

Gregy

Sep 21, 2017
    My bad, i guess the Volume knob on that Fender amp is a gain control. If i'm not mistaken, there is no master volume in this kind of amps, it operates as your master volume is always full. I guess, if you crank up master volume on BQ500 and do the comparison with that Fender, the results of loudness will be more accurate? just guessing..