1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic BQ500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wizard65, Nov 10, 2018.

1. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    I had a very long A/B test with both amps, and even after fiddling with the gain and master, I still just couldn't get the same power as a good old fashioned SS power amplifier. Looks like I'm sticking with this funky TC/Fender pre/post combo. It works and hardly takes up any more room. I suppose I could just get a nice TC compressor pedal, since that is essentially the main contributing factor. I appreciate your input though!

jeff7bass and Gregy like this.
  2. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn

Dec 20, 2014
    Hungary
    Got mine a few days ago. The active/passive is still reversed. The clipping light blinks easily in the real passive state, but no noticeable clipping happens (around 9th o clock) . In the real active state i couldn't make it blink with my BB435.

My setup is "Yamaha BB435 -> (MXR comp -> VT Bass DI) -> BQ500 -> K212". A bit EQ-ing with the head and it sounds good to me :) But it clearly needs the VT Bass for my taste. Unfortunately i'm unable to turn the volume up in my flat :(

upload_2019-1-26_11-28-25.

Gregy likes this.
  3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I got a BQ500 last week. The reversed toggle switch didn’t bother me, but the srcrew that was ratteling around inside did. It went back two days later.

I found the tone to be very ‘meh’ compared to my Spectradrive, which is based on the BH heads. In fact using headphones i was very disappointed with the BQ. The SD on the other hand is amazing on headphones.
    I found with the intput toggle in the correct position i couldn't get the gain light to come on with my passive P bass, even turned right up. With the switch in the wrong position the light was on all the time. Cant say i heard any issues though. The Thrust light was on all the time when the switch was engaged. According to the manual it only comes on when the comp is doing something. Even when not playing it was on.
    Overal a bad experience and i can see why these are so cheap. This did spur me on to get a BH head though.

alanolynn likes this.
  4. MrChiz

MrChiz

Jun 24, 2017
    Topeka, KS
    Got my TCE BQ 500 yesterday with the same issues, reversed active / passive switch and always on thresh light when the Thrust switch is in the on position. Called TC and was told the active / passive switch is reversed. Was also told if the light for the thresh is lit without a signal to compress, it is defective. Plenty of power and a good sounding amp but "DEFECTIVE", I will return it for refund.

bpmben likes this.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Glad I cancelled my order.

6. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    This may be OT, but I'd like to introduce some TB shorthand that we all use from time to time. Forgive me if this is already out there, but I haven't seen it yet.

NQRFPT = Not Quite Ready For Prime Time.

alanolynn likes this.
  7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Mine did the same, and I know others that have also had this.

8. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Even the preamp in my BQ500 is weak. I tested playing my BRX300R on its own, vs using the BQ preamp, and it was WAY louder. I'm not ruling out that I might be doing something wrong, but this is all around underpowered in my book. So if anyone is interested in a biamp circuit using a couple of these, mine is up for grabs.

9. FacepalmMute

FacepalmMute

Feb 13, 2019
    I’ve had my BQ500 for a whole two weeks and the input is already super noisy and has a lot of static. I’ve tried swapping cables, swapping basses, bypassing my pedals altogether and nothing works unless I just pull the cable out of the input. The comp threshold light is also on constantly and the front graphics for passive and active are also swapped. I loved this 500w head for the price, but I think I’m beginning to see why it was cheaper than other options out there.

I got mine from ZZounds and they are going to swap it for me.

10. My BQ500 is just fine. I could care less about the active/passive switch, my ears are my guide. I have no need of compression, or an effects loop, all I ask for is great tone and plenty of power. My BQ500 delivers that in spades. it is dead quiet, the tone controls are responsive and the eq points seem good. I run a passive J and a P, and an active 5er, and they all sound really good. I'm happy.

11. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    @Marty Forrer, what cab are you pairing with? I'm finding it impossible to get sufficient power/volume, no matter what cabinet combination, regardless of location/playing situation.

12. Into either one or two Barefaced One10s. Two for gigs, one for rehearsals.

13. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    I suppose I just have really inefficient cabs. I'll try some different combinations to see what I can come up with.

14. Purchased a BQ-250 from Sweetwater in January. It has the same issues that are mentioned in this thread (reversed active/passive input switch & compressor light stays on when compressor is engaged). The amp itself is fine. The compressor seems to work correctly (although the light does not).

These are minor annoyances in my mind, although it is troubling that a new amp comes this way. So much for quality control.

alanolynn likes this.
  15. Elias86

Elias86 Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    Has anyone tried the BQ250 or BQ500 with double bass yet? How is the EQ for upright? If I buy this, I will be using an fdeck HPF-pre before the BQ.

At the price point, either would be worth the cost for just the power amp, but an effects loop would be nice in order to by-pass the preamp. Would there be any issues using the aux in to bypass the preamp? It's also useful to be able to by-pass the preamp in order to add a second channel, e.g., use the built in preamp for electric bass, and then plug an external preamp into the effects loop for upright. Any thoughts?

16. I go straight in with my double bass. Works fine. Eq points suit me. I used to use an fdeck but have no need of it now.

Elias86 likes this.
  17. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    Sorry to resurrect this. I too have the switch flipped and thrust light issue. Has anyone:

1) had it fixed satisfactorily by TC?

2) fixed the constant clipping in true passive mode even with 0 gain and passive bass?

I took it for its first gig and it was underwhelming at best. Thru a eminence 1000w speaker at 4ohms, I had to run master at full and jack the eq knobs, AND put a sans amp in front to keep up with a drummer and an AC30 on 3 in a small room (little Pa support).

I used to gig with 60 watt Peaveys that did as much. Thinking I may need the Peavey MiniMEGA which is a lot more $$. I just wish this BQ wasn’t full of issues.

18. Elias86

Elias86 Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    You're getting clipping with the gain at zero?! You should definitely return that. I got an email from Sweetwater today saying they just got another batch in after being out of stock for the last few weeks. I'm thinking maybe this shipment is a new production run, hopefully with the issues worked out. I'd try to exchange yours for a new unit if I were you.

19. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    I will ask them in the morn. Don’t wanna waste time with this thing. Unfortunately health prevented me from checking it the first 2 months i had it.

20. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    Sweetwater is actually replacing the amp for me free of charge. Hopefully it is a 2nd gen.

Elias86 likes this.