1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic BQ500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wizard65, Nov 10, 2018.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Is there a 2nd Gen?

2. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    Or a second production round. Let’s hope so. Or I’ll give up on it for now. If I’m getting the same thing I’m shipping back,I’ll be bugged. It’s cool to just say “yes there are problems and we will rectify it ASAP.”

Rooster009 likes this.
  3. Well, I got rid of my BQ500, not because of any tech reasons, but because I scored a Genzler Magellan 350 which blows the TC into the weeds, both tonewise and power. It was twice the price but worth every penny.

DrParners likes this.
  4. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    If this next one fails, I’m debating either a Peavey MiniMEGA or just using a studio power amp I have. I use a compressor pedal and a sans amp anyways

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  5. Elias86

Elias86 Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    The MiniMEGA is 1000 Watts. The MiniMAX is 500W, so it's really the direct competitor to the BQ500. I've seen several of the MiniMAX amps on Reverb recently for under $300 used, so barely more than the BQ500. Some users do complain about the fan noise from MiniMAX, while others say it's fine. Both Peaveys look like great options to me.

alanolynn likes this.
  6. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    Got a “new” one from Sweetwater this morn. Maybe the switch is flipped? But the behavior of the clipping light is still goofy. And the Thrust, when engaged, hopelessly kills the volume and the light is always on. Unlike the manual, which states the light will only come on when threshold is breached. Not sure what I wanna do next.

7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Get the MiniMax they have resolved the fan noise issue. Or go for the gusto and grab the MiniMega. Both Killer amps. I am waiting for my BQ500 to show up. I do not use onboard compression although the comp on the MiniMega is quite good. I usually use outboard comp so that won't be an Issue and a reversed toggle is nothing . So as long as it makes decent power it will be all good.

alanolynn likes this.
  8. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    I ended up with the BQ500 and 2
    Elf 1x10s. I was so astounding to me (a studio guy for 20 Years) how big a difference the extra 10
    Made. The MiniMega sounded a lot nicer than the BQ for sure. I tried one but it was a B stock and the input had issues. Since I got it for 400 and Peavey never responded to support call, I stuck with the BQ.

bpmben and Gregy like this.
  9. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Mine BQ shipped but USPS so no tracking info usually until after they deliver it in my experience.

Elias86 likes this.
  10. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Mine finally showed up today. 1. the switch works as it should and labeled properly. 2. The peak light seems to do what it wants it will light on hard plucks but also as it fades off. 3 the Compressor light is constantly on when the comp is on. Set low no more than 9 oclock it works fine very subtle. Much more than that and squished is not the work for it. It can crush the signal so much it is like you turned the amp down. But as I said use just a little it sounds pretty good.

Elias86 likes this.
  11. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    These amps seem to have disappeared from the world. I was gonna get one as a backup. But they’re out of stock almost everywhere. Very little on the secondhand market. All other models seem to be around. This one though, ghosted. Are they already discontinuing it?

12. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    https://www.thomannmusic.com/tc_electronic_bq500_bass_head.htm

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Popular amp - they sold out.
    I read somewhere a new batch is coming in October.

14. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Aside from the sensitive input on the BQ500 (which I get around by using an MXR M-80 D.I.), I do like it. I don't rely too much on the EQ anymore though. The MXR paired with an LMB-3 is GOLD. Plus, I finally got a noteworthy cab to put under it. A Pre-Fender SWR Henry 8X8! Let me tell you, there is more than enough juice from this little guy to push that cab. Kinda silly lookin' with just that amp on top, but she sure does the job.

15. Gregy

Gregy

Sep 21, 2017
    I also use MXR M-80 but with Keeley GC-2, I find it very easy to dial the tone I like. As the the peak indicator is useless for setting the correct gain level, I usually leave at 12-2 o'clock.

alanolynn likes this.
  16. Mine delivers today :) I tested it in GC and I liked what I heard, I can't wait to gig with it Sat. I will hit back then with a video of it in a live situation and that switch has been backwards since it was introduced I think 2018? There are many people who have brought it to TC attention.

RTS

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    alanolynn and Gregy like this.
  17. Okay mine is in the house :) :bassist::hyper: NAD! :drool:

Gregy and seamonkey like this.
  18. Ok people first off the passive/active switch on mine is correct. I hooked it up to my Carvin 2x10 and it sounded amazing. The eq is very responsive, and cutting or boosting is very noticeable even with a small tweak. As most have mentioned the Thrust on full crushes the heck out of a note, but it is very easy to get to your compression happy place, because that knob is just as responsive.
    I love the clean palette this amp provides and and my Sansamp 2 bass drive has never sound so good.
    I would recommend this amp to beginners and professionals a like.
    I will as I mentioned post a gig video later this weekend so you can here it in a live band mix. Later RTSLINGER

Gregy, BasturdBlaster and seamonkey like this.
  19. 0DFD96CF-3004-4470-8687-C2749580733A. I know no pictures no amp :)

seamonkey and Gregy like this.
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I see you have the bass cranked. Will wait on a gig report.