1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TC Electronic Corona Chorus vs. MXR Analog Chorus ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 17, 2012.

1. What do you think guys? I've boiled my choices down to these two chorus pedals and can only go off youtube video's.

Both seem like they can do the same exact thing honestly... the MXR gives you two knobs to alter the voices, while the TC gives you one knob.

The TC seems to have some "legendary" background inspired by the SCF... ??

I don't think I'll ever get into the tone-print thing honestly... I'll use my own settings.

Anyone ever compare these two, or have any thoughts in general?

2. Also - I'm considering the MXR Stereo Chorus as well...

any thoughts in general?

3. I really like my analog chorus. The level, rate, and depth controls are fairly standard but I think the two eq controls really put the analog chorus over the corona (ESP if the tone prints arn't you cup I tea). When I play my 6 string bass thru the analog chorus it had a really overpowering bass response on the low B string so I cut the bass freq a bit and it sounds awesome. And with the rate around 2-3 oclock it cuts well

4. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Those are very different pedals. The MXR can't give you a tri-chorus sound and the Corona doesn't give you a low pass filter.

The 2 knobs on the top of the MXR are incorrectly described by some as EQ, but they are actually filters that allow you to choose which frequencies run through the chorus effect. This is useful as a bassist because you can have your harmonics chorused while keeping the low frequencies "clean".

The Corona chorus will handle line-level inputs if you want to run it through an effects loop and it also allows you to change the tone of the chorus sound.

5. What I was trying to say. Well said sir.

6. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Exeter, NH
    the TC Corona is great. very musical and easy to use in a variety of practical contexts. i've never felt like it needed any additional EQ'ing as far as bass response or anything like that. it's basically plug and play, which is pretty rare among bass effects. it can get pretty wild if you want, but it really shines in the more subtle settings. i've found that it sits very well in the mix with a full band.

7. Here's a video I did to show all the Analog Chorus' sounds.

Let me know what you think!

8. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Did you ever make a decision on one of these? I'm in the same situation that both of these are looking good to me. Specifically I want a very good effect for solo pieces and also for looped sections (on a 6-string bass - smooth/jazz/fusion style) - I'm not sure what feature would be more important for me: MXR's low-cut filter ability or TC's tri-chorus.

Thanks!

9. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I can't comment on the MXR as I haven't tried it. But, I've found the Corona to be quite addictive. Just using the standard chorus (not the tri-chorus), at moderate settings / slow rate. Adds a barely perceptible depth and bit of movement to my sound. Then, when I turn it off I feel like something is missing... so I've been leaving it on most of the time. Haven't found any need for EQ, the bottom end stays intact and everything else is in balance.

If you're looking for a really dramatic chorus effect this may not be the one, though it can get a lot more 'effected' sounding than what I use.