1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic G-Major...not thrilled

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shannons, Jun 17, 2007.

1. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    Well, I bought a G-Major today because everyone seems to just rave about them. I figured this would be a good all-purpose processor to use with my guitar rig AND my bass rig. I've spent a couple of hours messing with it & honestly, I'm a bit underwhelmed with its performance.

The pros:
    • Top notch delays, reverbs
    • Average chorus, flanger.
    • Cool 2-part delay effects for pitch shifting so you can get into this wild delayed harmonies.

The cons:
    • Pitch shifter is useless for bass guitar. It goes bonkers with anything lower than a guitar's Low E string.
    • The tuner won't register anything past a guitar's low E. Again, useless for bass.
    • The compressor just sucks the life out of the tone.

I dunno. I find the subtle FXs are good at what they do, but the ones that are really suppose to "wow you" just don't. Unless I'm missing something, I think I'm gonna take it back & look for a another FX processor that doesn't lack in the fun department.

Help...Any ideas?
    :(

2. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    Generally most pitch shifters in mutli fx units, be it rack or floor based will track poorly in those areas. As for most subtle things they work becasue as you said, there subtle. Compressors are best when there on there own, ie not in a multi fx unit. Something by DBX would be much better as its a dedicated compressor. Most multi fx units are more of a features vs function thing, they have a lot of different things but only a few are usable on bass. Now dont get me wrong i love multi fx units, but you should get a Digitech Whammy for pitch shifting.

3. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Actually, I do have an Digitech Whammy I'm using. My idea for buying the G-Major was to trim down my rather large FX pedalboard & use a rackmounted processor for a majority of FX.

4. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    oh sorry didnt know, perhaps you could use both. Keep the pedals on a smaller board (the ones that the g major sucks at) and use the G major to replicate the others.

5. shifter

shifter

Jul 10, 2006
    somewhere else
    The TC comp aint all it's cracked at to be for sure on the bass anyway.

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    it's funny... the more bassists try out TC Electronic stuff, the more terrible i hear it is.

guitarists LOVE it, though... and vocalists LOVE the TC Helicon stuff.

TC does not love Bass, it seems.

7. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    So, anyone got a suggestion on other bass FX processors? I've already checked out Line6, Boss & now TC Electronic. I'd prefer to have something rackmounted.

Hmmm....or maybe I'm just stuck with my big ass pedalboard. ;)

8. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I got a TC Electronic Fireworx processor a couple weeks ago. So far it appears to be pretty bass freindly. I still have a fairly big learning curve though. $ 650 mint used off of ebay

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I hear a lot of good things about the Boss/Roland VF-1. If you can find one.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021