1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TC Electronic introduces BQ250 & BQ500 Ultra-Lightweight Bass Heads

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Aug 3, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    TC Electronic describes its new BQ-series as "a revolution in portable bass amplification, packing more bang for the buck into an ultra-lightweight micro bass head than a warehouse full of discounted fireworks!"

At 250 and 500 watts respectivel,y the two BQ heads provide bare-bones bass power for the stage, the club gig or the home studio.

The MOSFET preamp and a custom-designed 4-band EQ provide a "tremendous tonal palette" and "realistic tube-like sound and feel."

The built-in Thrust compressor circuit allows a wide range of dynamic expressions, making the BQ series ideal for any playing style.

Made for the pragmatic bass player who wants a versatile no-nonsense rig, the BQ amps feature a headphone output and an AUX input, to let bassists groove along to their favorite tracks without waking the neighbors.

Learn more about BQ250 and BQ500

Available early Q4 2018

BQ250-front-view-hires. BQ250-left-view-hires. BQ250-rear-view-hires.

Portable-Power. Practical-Practicing. The-Real-Deal. THRUST-BQ250-is-a. Versatiliy-and-Tone.

bass4u and javi_bassist like this.
  2. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Sign me up! Everything you need, and NOTHING you don't. I love the form-and-function concept.

javi_bassist and Wfrance3 like this.
  3. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    And the people say.... “Amen!”

alanolynn likes this.
  4. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    AZ
    So, replace toneprint with "thrust"? Actually, even with the loss of flexibility, this is probably a fine trade-off for most bassists. I am intrigued...

AndyLES likes this.
  5. Wfrance3

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    And no tuner....

Now that i'm thinking this thru a little more....

The thrust compressor thing is probably one of those deals that you have to experience to understand. It may not be that "kind" of compression, but a compressor you can't turn off has me a little leery...

Still, if it's basically a BH-250/550 with no tuner and no tone print, that would be fine and make good sense. I do like that variable-eq thing they do on the tone setting knobs. (cue the sound effect for the can of worms being opened) Just wish they would be more forthcoming with their power. It it 500 watts at 4 ohms...?

6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    The compressor can be shut off via a switch right next to the knob.

Twobass and Wfrance3 like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

is that correct? the pics seem to show an on/off switch for that feature.

price point?

Wfrance3 and amper like this.
  8. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    More importantly, what kind of compressor is a "Thrust compressor"? tc electronic's budget line of pedals inherited from Behringer doesn't have a "Thrust" pedal, so presumably this is something new, I am guessing a single band analog compressor derived from the Forcefield pedal.

9. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US

wintremute likes this.
  10. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I love TC and own a BH550. The demo is terrible IMO. The bass thru the BQ sounds dead. I don’t like the name, either. BQ reminds me of BBQ.

Demole, aussietc and Wfrance3 like this.
  11. Wfrance3

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I think UR right. Missed that...

JRA likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm intrigued, too. but for "most bassists," trade-offs might include the price of the thing --- maybe we'll find out more about that, soon --- hopefully!

13. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have the same questions.

Is it 500w RMS or 500w peak? Are they 500 real watts or is TC going to say "It sounds like 500w" when pressed?

Why would you advertise a 500w amp as something "for small gigs?" 500w is a lot if you have the right cabinets.

andruca and Wfrance3 like this.
  14. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    From a TC email 111FA133-8485-4E0D-B5C2-F9EECED8A13C.

15. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia
    Seems and looks fine for the price and possibilities. Could be a good amp.

jeff7bass and amper like this.
  16. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    My first bass amp was a Trace Elliot Series 6 AH200 that I got used for $250. at 8th Street in Philly, back in the early 1990s. By comparison, the BQ500 seems like a good deal for a new player.

And, NGL, that Trace Elliot was probably all the amp I've ever *really* needed, and I could probably have saved myself a metric crapton of dinero had I simply stuck with it.

murphy likes this.
  17. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I wonder if the BQ series fits the RS210C?

18. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Don't see the point compared to BH250/BH550, losing toneprint, losing tuner, gaining a bit in size and weight.

Orestes Chouchoulas likes this.
  19. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Pure analog, or does it still digitize the signal like their old amps?

As to MOSFET sounding like tubes, I generally subscribe to this famous quote over in one of the Fender forums more than a decade ago:

The only people saying MOSFETs are tube-like are people that are trying to sell you MOSFETs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    kwdhsk, murphy, Demole and 3 others like this.