1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic introduces BQ250 & BQ500 Ultra-Lightweight Bass Heads

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Aug 3, 2018.

1. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    I saw a TC demo of the RH750 played through by Mark King and it was terrible, they need someone else mixing their demos.

I like this amp, but I'd rather have the toneprint than the thrust. I have a tuner pedal so no loss there.

2. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    You would like the tone print, if you would have any fx pedal with tp. Tp. on amp is a very uncomfortable thing.

3. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Phoenix
    Found them at Sweetwater. For pricing.
    BQ250 - $199
    BQ500 - $249

Not affiliated. Nice backup amp head price point or beginner. It's a shame that the prototype is going higher.

4. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Only one speaker output? That seams strange especially since it can take a 4 ohm load.

5. ddezz

ddezz

Apr 5, 2013
    Naples FL & Hartford, CT USA
    Nobody give me anything!
    With the market being very full of class D amps, the prices of newer ones seem to be getting much lower than ones made years ago which will kill resale value of the older and far costlier amps. If they come out with an 800 watt + version I could be very interested in getting one.

EddieV likes this.
  6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I’m not sure if I like the eq centres (80hz, 400hz, 800hz and 10khz) for the same reason I went off my markbass head, huge gap between the low and low mid where all the booty lives.

CapnSev and ELynx like this.
  7. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I have had great luck with the BH 250, hopefully these are as good. Sucks to lose the tuner though, as well as the toneprint. As for the disputes about power ratings- my BH 250 has plenty of power at 8 ohms, I've done dozens of gigs with mine without wanting/need more power.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The price on these is unbeatable. Any complaints should be squelched immediately.

If the tone is good, these amps are absolutely worth it.

Jurbanski and Wicked G like this.
  9. This is the proof that Quilter change the game with their amps. They need a 800+ watts to compete with them. Good prince range and i love the concept. Specialy if you use pedals.

wintremute likes this.
  10. sirthought

sirthought

Nov 25, 2017
    I own a BH500, which for $279 was a great deal for a starter amp. But compared to my SWR SM500, the sound of the BH500 isn't really nearly as comprehensive sounding. Punk to Pop, the SWR just is steps above. That's all I've owned. I've heard some guys playing the RH models and it seemed to work for them.

With the BQ I'd be spending $30 less, but losing a tuner and the ability to save presets. The BQ seems like the same head, just not in a wooden cabinet. Not sure if the thrust knob is sitting as replacement or just a new name for the Tube Tone knob. But for a practicing amp the BH500 was fine. Putting in a live band against other options I quickly found the sound not nearly as good. If TC improved things here, great, but based on that demo, I'd wonder. Looking forward to some more demos.

arbiterusa likes this.
  11. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Interesting, it is like TC Electronic figured out that there is a market for bassists that don't care about effects with the exception of compression. Who would have thought?

Jurbanski, wintremute and alanolynn like this.
  12. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    Won't be available (at least at Zzounds) till Dec of this year. :banghead:

13. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    To me its probably more as a backup than what most here have already. At that price I can't imagine premium parts are being used. It seems more of a price for a pedal let alone a 500 or a 250 watt amp.

14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    And it always will be. I gig GK MB heads these days, they sound fine and the weight can't be beat, but I'm keeping my SWR heads and cabs until they die or I do. Nothing sounds better.

peper61 likes this.
  15. sirthought

sirthought

Nov 25, 2017
    Well, the TC marketing for the BH500 sold me good at the time, and I thought it sounded pretty good until I started to A/B test with the SWR.

I like the idea of the BQ500. I would take it more seriously if it had an effects loop. Possibly a tuner out and maybe an option for two cab outputs. It would be kind of like the GK MB Fusion 500, except you don't really need two outs and you don't really need the A/B settings. So still cheaper for the BQ500! Maybe TC will put out an 800 watt head with some of those features. You'd think if they were going to, they'd release them all at the same time.

Still, I'm guessing these will sell like hotcakes and they will dig deeper into the market.

The fact that the tone print technology for the bass amps wasn't the same as for the pedals was a huge mistake, especially when it came to the mobile app.

16. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    They're roughly half the price.

soulman969 likes this.
  17. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Thanks. I saw BQ is analog MOSFET preamp, is BH digital preamp?

18. [skyraider]

[skyraider] Gold Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm curious as to what tone centers you prefer. I'm all about finding where the booty lives. :)

More to the OP: I have the BH550 and I don't use the TonePrint because it is kludgy and I really don't need effects. The tuner is awkward and difficult to use, so I've got a Peterson tuner that I use. I don't use a cabinet anymore, so I don't use the power amp section. It's basically a glorified DI for me. But those were the three main reasons I got the BH550. I guess I should have just waited and got the BQ250.

One thing I'd really like to see is a rack kit for these heads.

19. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    It's kind of funny that people are complaining about no tuner, no Toneprint and one speaker output. Hello people, its a $250 500 watt amp. If you want the Toneprint and the tuner then just buy the BH amps, they are still on sale. Also you can daisy chain your cabs if you are running 2 8 ohm cabs.

I can see where someone on a low budget might want a large amp for a very low price. Since I already own the RH750, RH450 and BH800 I really don't have any use for this amp, but if I didn't, sure why not try one out for $250.

20. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Was not complaining, was just not understanding the difference until someone pointed out it's half price and analog preamp.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021