1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic introduces BQ250 & BQ500 Ultra-Lightweight Bass Heads

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Aug 3, 2018.

1. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Usually somewhere between 80hz and 250hz, depending on the room, but it takes a little thought as too much can get muddy. Sometimes I'll push 100 and cut 200 just to balance it out.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    DJ Bebop and [skyraider] like this.
  2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    These look interesting--all the features I want and none that I don't, and at an affordable price. I'm assuming the power ratings are for a 4 Ohm load. Does anyone know what the ratings are for an 8 Ohm load?

3. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I find the pricing on these peculiar. For $50 more you get double the wattage. I can't see why anyone would want the 250 watt version.

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The difference between 500 and 800 is really negligible.

5. sirthought

sirthought

Nov 25, 2017
    Can't you see? Who wouldn't be incentivized to spend $50 more with them once they've bought into the concept? It's a great product strategy.

alanolynn likes this.
  6. mattjbass

mattjbass

Mar 23, 2017
    Really interested in these, but the price does seem to good to be true.

jeff7bass likes this.
  7. But on Markbass amps you can manipulate the space between 80 and 400 hz with the VLE and the VPF. Esp. the VPF. It is a mid scoop arround 300 Hz that lifts bass and treble either side progresively as you go higher. For example if you filter out a bit of the 80 hz area with the bass eq and then set the VPF to say 8 or 9 o'clock, you pronounce the area between 100 and 200 hz and get a bit less of the ultra low frequencies that might tend to be boomy on stage. If you just want to pronounce the frequencies between 100 and 300, but don't want the additonal treble, you can use the VLE to get rid of them any amount you want.

ToS likes this.
  8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Kind of true, but it's not exactly intuitive, nor is it a precise science. The parametric eq on my Carvin is so much easier to dial in. Not to mention, this new TC head has neither VPF or VLE type filters.

jeff7bass likes this.
  9. Sandman64

Sandman64

Sep 9, 2015
    Are these really the actually power ratings or the TC electronics imaginary ratings? Inquiring minds want to know!

ToS likes this.
  10. I have the older BH250, which is very practical and sounds great. I love the tuner, I miss the gain knob. The Tone print effects knob is in my opinion useless for any serious usage.
    The new BG250 adds gain, adds one more middle eq knob and lacks the tuner. I suspect that the thrust knob would be something like the earlier Tone print - good for marketing, useless for playing.
    If it plays similarly good as BH250, then it's no doubt a great amp and even the missing tuner and supposedly mediocre compressor can't change it. I'm gonna definitely check it out, as soon as it gets on the market.

11. Gregy

Gregy

Sep 21, 2017
    Hey guys! Have anyone tried BQ500 already?? Can't find any comments.
    It's only available at Sweetwater, can't find at other places..

12. bass4u

bass4u Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    maryland,usa
    I will definitely get a BQ500 when they are available. I had a BH500 which was a great sounding amp but since the tuner wasn't chromatic and I use a pedalboard with multiple efx units and preamps on it the Tone Print feature I really didn't need. I like the concept of the BQ series, a simple bass amp.

alanolynn likes this.
  13. Gregy

Gregy

Sep 21, 2017
    Agreed, I'm also waiting for it. For those who buys at Thomann, it might be available in November :bassist:

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It has to be the 10th head on the market with the exact same size and features. It's hard to feel enthusistic about something like this.

15. asix

asix

Nov 21, 2014
    Swansea, UK
    i have a line 6 low down 400 that ways lots and is huge so im hoping this will be smaller lighter and louder. i have a 1 x 10 trace cab and a 1 x 15 hartke, if i wont power both im going to buy a second amp. I was tempted by the 800 but all I use in my rig is a tu2 and a ehx boost to give it some more. This looks perfect for me.

16. Tommy Sankstone

Tommy Sankstone

Sep 25, 2018
    Hell , they don't even know......and until we can actually get one to hear them, we won't have a clue.

17. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    So, I just picked up my special ordered BQ500 at my local music store yesterday. Haven't even had a chance to open the box yet, but luckily I have rehearsal tonight, so I'll just torture the other guys in the band while I fiddle with it.

I'll report back tomorrow!

18. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn

Dec 20, 2014
    Hungary
    Hi,

could you write a few lines about the amp? It's on a really good price in our local store and i'm really thinking about to hit the buy button :)

19. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    @SleepyJohn, I've been so busy, I STILL haven't even unboxed it. Rehearsal got cancelled, and I had to install a new gas range at the house. On top of that, it was Halloweekend, so of course I had a gig. I'm hoping to have something up this week. Thanks for the interest!

20. Gregy

Gregy

Sep 21, 2017
    I have mine BQ500 unboxed, but still waiting for K-212 cab....
    I only had a chance to play it with earphones, can't say much about it.
    The only thing is, the position of Active / Passive is reversed. I play passive Fender Jazz Bass and if the switch is in Passive position, i hear almost nothing. Gotta switch it to Active - then the sound appears. Probably need to wait one more month for that cab...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021