Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TC Electronic M One or G Major?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FritzM, Mar 11, 2002.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Which is better suited for bass? (live in a mono FX loop). I need a nice rich chorus for fretless, with a tad of reverb. And, occasionally a delay or maybe detune. Is the G Major overkill?

Fritz

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Personally I think a good stompbox is the better (and cheaper) choice.

The Danelectro Cool Cat is great bang for the buck.

If you want hifi chorus, get the TC Electronic Chorus pedal or the EBS UniChorus.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played through this unit one time, but from that 45 minute experience of knob twiddling, I'd say that it's probably worth your money to get the G-Major.

The quality of effects in the G-Major makes it comparable to most of the better stomp boxes, but you're also getting more for only around $500 or so (Musician's Friend and Music Toyz.com list it for $499, IIRC). The TC chorus pedal alone costs around $300. Also, TC's reverb is well known as a standard in the recording industry, so if you want a touch of reverb, it's a good unit to get.

From what I've read, the TC M-one is a great reverb unit, but you'll probably get too much reverb and too little else for your needs with it.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're basically right, RAM, but in order to use it live efficiently you need a decent MIDI-footcontroller which will set you back at least another 200-300$.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The G-Minor is made for the G-Major. I saw it on Musician's Friend for $139. If you buy 'em both, you're sitting at about $640. If you want pitch shift, chorus, and reverb, good pedals could end up costing you over $600 easily.

But, I agree with you...it does get expensive.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    CE2 you can pick up the Tawain cheap because the sheep have heard rumours RE poor manufacturing and adjust the internal trimpot to taste. Sorted.

If you want megachorus one the the rocktron units is supposed to be good.

Having said that I am extremely interested in the Gmin/maj combo as I play guitar aswell.