1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tc electronic RH450 Compressor help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dudi8, Jul 5, 2012.

1. dudi8

dudi8

Apr 13, 2010
    Hungary
    Hi!
    im buying now the Rh450 and i saw that he has a built-in compressor, does it mean that i can sell my MXR compressor? :)

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    IMO, the onboard compressot in the RH heads is very good, so I'd say yes.

3. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    What model MXR compressor is it and what do you use it for?

4. dudi8

dudi8

Apr 13, 2010
    Hungary
    MXR m87 just for normal playing, not recording or anything pro

5. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    depends where you want your compressor in the signal chain. If you have other effects/pedals and you want to compress before them then no, you'll still want your MXR. If you compress after anyway, or don't have anything else in the chain then go ahead.

For example I wouldn't because I also have a volume pedal in my chain and don't really want the compressor increasing the volume of my pedal when I've lowered it. But my friend who plugs directly into his amp probably would because it doesn't affect him.

6. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    This^ It doesn't have anywhere near the options that pedal has. It is just a one knob compressor But sometimes setting ratio and release etc times can be a pain on the fly. It is a great sounding compressor and the it seems to be set up great. I guess you will just have to try it and see what you think

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's not how compressors work. The only boost they add is the fixed amount you set with the output level knob. When you turn down the volume pedal, the compressor does nothing in response.

8. +1

I used an Eden Wp100 which had a pretty good compressor and don't miss it with the RH.

9. I'd say yes. The builtin one is very good.

10. When I had my Marshall MB4410, I kept my DOD compressor-sustainer. But When I bought my RH750 (same comressor as the 450) I sold the pedal, no reason to keep it at all.

It's true it's a single knob compressor, but internally there are a number of parameters tweaked depending on the position of the knob. Attack, release timeS, compression ratioS, etc, everything for eadh of the 3 independent bands on which the compressor works. It's really effective yet simple to use.