1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic RH450, RS210, RS212 Review Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i've been looking at this setup since it looks ultraportable. i don't really move around much right now with my GK 212neo and GB shuttle 6, but it would be nice to save a little space in the room along with the other great features this rig would provide.

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Has anyone used the 2x12 as a stand alone?

3. ProDigit

ProDigit

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami USA
    From marketing perspective I can only say that the head is overpriced.

As a bassist who just needs a basic minirig like this, the head would sell from 600 to 699 dollars. Not 1000. Especially for a brand that is yet unknown in the bass industry!
    There are top bass brands selling similar amps (like Eden or Markbass) for a couple of hundred bucks less!

The 210 and 212 are priced well though, I expect the 410 to be a little too expensive.

The 410 is aimed at 36kg, a pretty lightbuild cab! The 212 is very light weighing in at 24,5kg, but the 210 is a bit heavier than the lightest cabs on the market with its 21kg.

The amp itself is a little heavier than other all digital amps.

The tube grit is (I guess) some form of soft clipping. A way to get the maximum out of your amp, without having that awful clipping sound Solid State amplifiers are known for.

About the cabs,most would prefer putting 212 horizontal, and putting a vertical 210 on top of it, to get the best of both worlds I guess...

It's only normal with the 210 and coax tweeter that you hear yourself better onstage. The smaller the speaker cone, and the more focused the sound, the better you can hear it up close.
    This would not be the case with a 15 or 18" cabinet, which is better heard a few feet further away; or more to the crowds than when you're standing right next to it onstage.

I seen the Bose column system,and heard it on a seminar,but never heard a bassist play through it. Besides, a bassist needs to buy several bass speakers to be loud enough and to be heard, his rig will not cost less than $2500 just with the bose bass woofers.
    And the bassist doesn't even have a way to color the sound (it's just a clean bass signal amplified).

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is no best of both worlds when you stack one cab horizontally and the other vertically. All you do is create a shorter stack, create phasing issues, and cut down on off-axis response. It's always best to create a vertical stack instead of a horizontal one when you're dealing with cabs such as these.

Also, if the bass sounds better a few feet away, it's because of boundary reinforcement in the building, and has nothing to do with needing a few feet to "develop a full waveform." If that were the case, headphones wouldn't work.

Other than that, I agree with you. I think it's overpriced for the market it's competing in. When you can get a Markbass or a Shuttle for much less, the TC just isn't competitive. And this whole "test pilot" gimmick hasn't exactly endeared them to me, either. I'm apparently not good enough for the honor of buying stuff from TC, so whatever.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    That dog is still huntin', eh Jimmy?

Let it go. They didn't pick me either and frankly I've forgotten about it.
    :smug:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh, believe me, every time I plug into my recently restored first-run 1969 SVT, I'm over it...I just don't forget.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Carry on.

8. Well Guys, I actually took the plunge and bought one. An RH450 and RC4 that is.

Ordered it Saturday night from the states and it's already on it's way to Sunny Australia.
    I paid around half what they are worth here.:hyper:

I'll post my report when I've had a play.

9. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Played two gigs with it this weekend and I'm becoming more and more pleased with it. I've been making minor tweaks and it's dialed in now. I also want to say that the vertical stack and narrow footprint has been more useful than I ever thought it would be. I played another corner stage with a crappy drum riser and was able to tuck it in and leave plenty of room for the opening band's rig......

It's going to be hard to let it go back. The only issue I have with owning it will be price.

10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    I don't think I would pay for one myself, but I don't think its overpriced compared to the other mini heads in its range. Its got quite a few more/different features than other similarly powered heads. If those features are useful for you, then its totally worth the price.

11. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    For my situation, preferences and needs the RH450 + RS210 + RS212 is absolutely perfect and worth the price IMOHO.

12. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    I wasn't saying it isn't worth it, it's just my financial situation is a little tough right now. In the future, I may part with some gear and see what I can figure out. This setup is worth it to me because of the versatility, features, and overall sound.
    I generally don't but gear brand new, so it might be that I have to wait for it to come onto the used market.

13. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I understand that entirely. I didn't take your post in that way.

14. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    So, nobody has used the 2x12 as a standalone?

15. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I tried it alone with a few heads and I prefer the punchy and tight sound of the RS210 (soloed), however used in combo with the RS210, the RS212 sounds great.

16. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    So the 2x12 is more " old school " sounding?

17. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I guess you could put it that way.

18. beachnik

beachnik

Apr 14, 2009
    If there is anyone out there who has used either the TC Electronics 212 or the Schroeder 1212L as a stand alone I'd love to here about it. I've been toting around a single 15 JBL K140 for 25 yrs and I've just had back surgery. I'm looking for a more manageable solution. These things both weigh about 20kgs. Do they sound any good? I live in Melbourne and the only Australian supplier is in Sydney so its not easy to try one out. I don't need a hifi sound, just fat, old-school (that's my sound, although i also fit into that category.)

19. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    This is a good example of the sound soloed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.