1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic RH450 vs Mesa Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stereo Joe, Nov 7, 2010.

1. I did a search and had no luck finding any direct comparisons between these two amps. Anyone out there who has experience with both of these amps?

I'm purely interested in the tone comparison between these two amps - not really concerned with the differences in features.

I currently have the RH450 and I really like warmth and depth from it but I find myself missing the high end extension sometimes and wishing for more of a 'full range' tubey sounding amp without the upper frequency attenuation.

I'm thinking the Walkabout may have the tone I'm after. Can anyone compare the Walkabout clean tone to the RH450?

Thanks in advance...

2. I own both those heads and love them.
    I slightly prefer the Walkabout, especially when praticing by myself, for it's tubey sweet tone.
    The RH450 is much more mid forward, has less top end and is a bit more powerful.
    Sounds like the Walkabout would be interesting for you.
    Check out my thread here
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709653
    Although the tones are EQ'd and slightly overdriven it should give you a better idea.

3. Cool, thanks! Would you mind sending me a PM telling which sound clip is which amp?

4. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Have owned both and MUCH prefer the tone of the Walkabout.

5. Cool - do you have any specific reasons why? Is there anything you can tell me about the difference in tone between the two amps?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I think those 2 amps are fairly similar tonally, sort of tubey old school vibe. But the WA is the king of that particular tone, imo. A little less power, but tubey warmth in spades. I'm a Walkabout owner/user for 4 yrs, have only "tested "the TC. Both are top notch gear.

7. I currently have an RH450, and owned an Walkabout for a long time until fairly recently. I agree with the above, but it's for those reasons I prefer the RH450.

IMO the RH450 has clearer and more detailed mids, which work well with the flatwounds I use.

The oomph of the Walkabout was a little overwhelming at times. Still a great head, though.

There's clips of various combinations of stuff I've had over the years here.

8. That's where I ended up also for my more 'vintage' sounding rig. To its credit, the Walkabout had more of that all tube amp deep bass, that bit of hollowness in the mids, and a very present top end with some instruments. Of course, it has a lot of EQ power, but that inherent voice is pretty constant (for better or worse, just like the RH450).

The RH450 live sounds, to me, like a tube amp recorded in a studio... which is a VERY good thing.

Significantly louder also, and a better DI and feature set.

Both GREAT amps though.

9. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I love WA...the RH450 is great too! Nice colour of sound but ultra light heads has less dynamics....there is not that 3D thing ;-) they are too flat for me ...well they are lite...anyway TC amps amp is my favorite brand for UL amps