1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TC Electronic Spark Booster. Underrated champion of low-gain overdrives

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AndrewTaran, Jul 23, 2016.

1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The Mini is just a clean boost. shame they left out the gain knob and toggle switch. The big one is on my list to try out...

crapusername and Kenova like this.
  2. I'm curious, does anyone have compared it the MojoMojo?

3. geolikezik

geolikezik Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    Had and liked them both, to me they sounded like Spark goes from clean boost to light overdrive while Mojomojo goes from colored boost to light overdrive then to Muff kind of distortion as the drive is increased.

amper, Kenova and javi_bassist like this.
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I will have to get one eventually. I'm very happy with my OD choice right now and I don't see changing that any time soon. But for the right price I like to have a nice OD pedal at home to plug into when I don't want to hustle my board out.

Kenova likes this.
  5. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    Here I made video using Spark, Gain is at 13 o’clock, Level 13 o’clock, Bass 12 o’clock, Treble 14 o’clock, switch is on clean setting.

Song is from one popular bend in ex Yugoslavia called Idoli

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    zapped777 likes this.
  6. Sounds great!

Kenova likes this.
  7. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    Thank you, it beef your tone nicely.

8. This is killing me. I thought my journey in seeking pedal is almost "over" but then I read about this thread... followed by finding some infos... and ended up in the desire to have this pedal lol

zapped777 and Kenova like this.
  9. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Oh no now I really don't know what to do. I've been loving my joyo ultimate drive until I broke it, so decided to spend a bit more on a real OCD or od glove. I never put the gain past 10 o'clock so only use for light OD for a little tubey character. Even though it doesn't lose lows I still like to blend clean to keep my thumbs(warwick not my hand) character and attack. The spark is now in the mix.......

10. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Thanks for the clarification chaps.
    Am I right in thinking the mooer pure boost is a clone of the big spark?

11. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    Over the picture they are same but internaly I dont know is there some coloration or low end loss.

crapusername likes this.
  12. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)

Here, I made video today, it's not perfect but i tried to do my best and keep it short...somehow...

Marikk, AndrewTaran, wmmj and 2 others like this.
  13. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Does anyone have a lead for the specific eq effects of the fat and mid switch positions? I'm looking for an od/boost that rolls off the lows while also boosting the low mids and I'm wondering if the Spark could do this with the bass turned counterclockwise while the switch is in the fat setting

14. headtrip762

headtrip762

Feb 13, 2008
    NEPA
    I have a full sized spark on my board for close to a year, almost always on. Im considering getting a second to add to the same board! It has most of the tone Ive been chasing in my head. Solid state or tube amp, this thing works great. The second unit may knock the e.h. hotwax off my board, time will tell!

15. Add another one to the pro Full sized Spark group, Have one and love it, Quite a flexible low gain drive. i have it next to a full on over drive pedal so i have the Spark, the Od or The spark into the OD

16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That's the big appeal of the Mini for me. I love my tone already - just think it might be useful to have a little bit more in the tank when I'm called on to solo, which happens fairly regularly.
    Thus far I haven't needed it, so I'm not getting one until I hit a gig where I think "dang, wish I had a boost!"

17. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    Thomann is Clearing out TC again so I ordered the polytune mini 2, the spectra comp and the mini spark. I'm thinking about replacing my bad monkey with the full size spark also, can they get into similar territory?

18. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I can't say for sure, but I can recommend you also give the TC Mojomojo a shot if you're looking for a decent bass OD!

tfer likes this.
  19. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I have shuffled my board around, and have my Mojo Mojo in front of my SpectraComp as a cleanish boost, to hit the comp a little harder.

20. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    For the EU users, there has been a pretty huge price drop from 125 ish to 70 euro. Check for instance Thomann or the other bigger chains. Some still have em for sale for as high as 129 euro's but most have dropped em to around 70.

Also the MojoMojo and Dark Matter appears to be around 50% off.