1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TC Electronic Spectracomp volume boost when engaged

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Aug 17, 2018.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey gang,

Has anyone found a practical way to deal with the volume boost inherent to most of the Toneprints for the TC Spectracomp? I have noted elsewhere that I currently run a preamp after it just so I can use it as a master volume and turn the level down to compensate for the boost the Spectracomp gives. Otherwise my drive pedals fart out. But I have a cable on the way which will enable me to edit the toneprints from my phone. So I'm wondering if anyone has figured out the correct parameters to tweak to get unity gain when the pedal is engaged vs off. Some have mentioned that turning off "make up gain" is not enough, and that it can actually result in a total drop off of signal. Is there a setting to tweak which will allow me to crank up the amount of compression with the single knob without the overall level also getting louder? And if so, what is it and how do you tweak it?

Thanks

2. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    I found that turning the make up gain off was enough for me.

With the one knob you have to make some trade offs - you could figure out where you like your compression blend, ratio, and threshold, disconnect the knob from controlling them and just make output as the single parameter being controlled. Doesn't do what you want though.

I think it's just spending time in the editor to get close to what works.

3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    That’s a good idea, thanks.

4. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Happy happy joy joy! I got it! I got my cable in the mail today so I could tweak the TonePrints though my phone. Soooooooo much better! It was actually pretty simple. In the “gain” section, just turn down the “level all” option. Alternatively, I could also turn off the make up gain (which totally killed my signal to nothing) and then turn UP the overall gain curve. It seemed either way worked equally well. Now I can finally run my Spectracomp without another pedal afterwards to adjust the gain! That is, unless I want to use an artist TonePrint, in which case you can’t change the gain, so you’re stuck. Wish they would change that.

tonymcbony likes this.
  5. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    “Default edit” is the default TonePrint with the level lowered. My new favorite.

574D88EB-C069-4481-A47B-6FA5583646D5.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  6. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I’m waiting on my iOS camera adapter so I can adjust the gain too. I love this compression pedal. But, can’t understand why the gain is so high on all the patches. Glad to know it can all be adjusted.

7. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    It absolutely can be changed. But in case you haven't heard, there are other issues with the TC not storing toneprint changes to the pedal after you power the pedal off. So if you unplug the pedal and then plug the power back in again, you'll lose whatever toneprint was saved to the pedal and it defaults. it's quite frustrating, but it's an easy fix. There's a more recent firmware update (NOT the one last listed on the TC website that ended in ...606, I believe). I think the most recent firmware ends in ...677 or something like that. If you search the forums you'll find another thread about the firmware update. Do that through your computer (look for my comments on it) and you're golden. Works perfectly now. I can lower the gain(s) and use any toneprint I want, except for some of the artist ones, which you can't tweak.

8. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Yeah, I did an update the other day. It's saving now. Just haven't adjusted parameters inside of patches.. yet.

jacoby75 likes this.
  9. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI