1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

TC Electronic Spectracomp Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Briton, May 15, 2018.

1. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I am currently thinking of purchasing one of these but I am thinking would it really be worth it.
    I currently own a TC Electronic Spectracomp and a TC Electronic BH250 Amplifier with the Spectracomp having the same Toneprints as the Spectradrive. So would there be any reason why I should invest in a Spectradrive?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    The pedal is really just the preamp from the head. At the moment you can't download the full range of Spectracomp Toneprints to the Spectradrive, so there's that issue if you have a particular favourite (alhtough my favourite is the stock Spectracomp preset). Nor can you edit your own Toneprints (yet).

Two pluses for the Spectradrive are the cab sim on the DI and headphone out, and that there is potentially a wider range of drive Toneprints than you can get for your amp (you'd have to look these up, I'm not sure how they compare).

3. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I just had a look at the Spectradrive Spectracomp toneprints available on my Android and every single one that you get with the Spectracomp are available to beam with the Spectradrive.Obviously you cannot beam a Drive toneprint and a Spectracomp toneprint at the same time so having a Spectracomp pedal separate will allow me to beam both which is a plus.
    Or can you beam more than one type of print with the Spectradrive?

4. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    The SpectraDrive will only use one Drive and one Compression print at a time. They have to be beamed separately.

5. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Yes I thought so!
    So with me having a separate Spectracomp pedal and being able to just use the Drive from the Spectradrive is a plus.
    I am still unsure as there are actually more drive toneprints on my BH250 Amp than there are on the Spectracomp. Maybe I will bide my time to see how many more Drive toneprints they bring out for the Spectradrive before forking out 300 quid.

6. ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    Where is the cab sim? Is that part of the Drive print parameters?

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    It's always on the headphone and XLR out AFAIK.

8. ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    If you mean the compressor and drive: Headphone signal is always subject to the effects, unless you bypass the entire pedal. With XLR, you can choose whether the output is Pre or Post.

However, I don't think there is specifically a cabinet sim in the unit, unless that's a parameter of the TonePrints. I can't access the editor, so I don't know if that is the case.

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Pretty sure there is, as it was confirmed in another thread that it only applied to the XLR and headphone out. Just checked the manual and there's no mention of it, but the main product page says:
    • Studio-quality headphone amplifier with speaker emulation for personal practice and silent rehearsals

10. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I have all of them: BG250 (combo version of BH250), Spectracomp and Spectradrive.

Spectradrive has a nicer DI than BG250. I would take it to the studio or going directly to PA.
    BG250's DI is acceptable, but kinda noisy. This can be EQd out though.

I like a separate Spectracomp better than the one in BG250, so keeping it to play in that combo (where I don't need a similar preamp). BG250 also sounds better with drive IMO and has a plenty of effects not in Spectradrive: flangers, octavers, etc.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  11. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I'm not sure it is on the XLR out. At least, I'm pretty sure that unaffected signal ('thru') and XLR out in 'pre' mode sound the same.

12. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I recently picked up a spectradrive and haven't noticed a speaker sim at all, either through the DI or the headphone out, and the manual doesn't mention a speaker sim. However it does sound very good. The thing I've noticed with both the SpectraComp and SpectraDrive is that the compressor is very dependent on the toneprints loaded. Some of the toneprints can be noisy. Some are great. I like the TC "ToneBooster" toneprint. I also like Ida Neilsen's "Funk in the Trunk" tube drive toneprint.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021