1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Electronic Tube Pilot Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MartinB, Nov 24, 2017.

1. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK

Tube Pilot Overdrive | TC Electronic

A simple 12AX7 overdrive which claims to be totally transparent - but will it turn out to be a guitar-focused pedal that loses all the low-end?
    And can it improve on their own Mojomojo, which does a very nice soft overdrive at a similar price?

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Interested to see how this one pans out. Who knows, could be a winner. I was skeptical when they said "real tube OD" then I read they actually did use a tube in it I was kinda surprised for a $50 pedal. Go TC! I'll be waiting to see what some say about it for bass.

Blu bro likes this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I posted this on another thread but didn't get feedback.
    It seems to be a nice pedal. The guys from TC say that it's a transparent OD and I really want to try how it will sound as a mild od or as a dirty boost.

blindrabbit and gregmon79 like this.
  4. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK
    Sorry! I searched for "tube pilot" and got zero results :angel:

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I think it's just too new. No one has it yet. As far as feedback goes anyway. Not sure about opinions though. .

Nunovsky likes this.
  6. Has there been much feedback on the other Behringer reissues as to improved construction quality for the TC E versions?

Check the threads for the original Behringer unit as to whether it loses low end.

7. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK
    Do you think this is a straight up re-package of a Behringer VT911, and they haven't modified it at all?

8. Yes, I do, but I've no basis of fact on this opinion.
    Well, depends on what you define as modified.

From the scuttlebutt I've heard here in these forums: the only mods to revamping the Behringer line for TC E branding are to improve things like the housings, jacks, less use of plastic... hopefully this includes better quality pots and components — but I'm not expecting to open them up and find Wima caps and Neutrik jacks. There was a reason lots of people rehoused Behringer pedals, apparently. I've never had any of the Behringers, but I'd be willing to try one, or the new TC E versions.

I'd just like to hear if there's been definitive evidence that this series reissue has had improvements to quality of components and construction.
    Can't be the test guinea-pig at the moment.

The VT999 would be a cool reissue.

PS: the VT911 was a clone of the Butler/Chandler tubers, if I'm not mistaken.

9. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm thinking more in terms of "have the circuits been changed in a way that affects the sound". Otherwise, as you said - we could just refer to reviews of the Behringer. I'm not sure about the current "Analog Armada" set of pedals, but the previous wave ("Smorgasbord Of Tones") wasn't all rehoused Behringers - there were a couple of original models in there too.

Hey TCE! Send me a free pedal - I'll be your guinea pig! :D

10. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Ummmm.....Why's the guy wearing a giant bird head?

Honestly, that creeps me out more than a little. Like department store Santas.

11. Hmmm VT911 is a 3-knobber...

VT911_P0618_Right_L.

Tube Pilot a 2-knobber — so they eliminated the tone stack? (Not a bad idea).

tube-pilot-overdrive-persp-hires.

So, not a simple redressing of the Behringer VT911 after all.

12. Or like @gregmon79's latest avatar?

The dude in the vid, that's Free Bird man, free at last after having escaped from the Band Alcatrazz; some guy named Leonardough Skinheard once wrote a song about him. Skinhead changed his name to Skinner and became a school principle. Bart I digress...

So I guess you're not into SlipKnot, nor Buckethead, nor Los Straitjackets. You're suffering from Gene-Simmonsitis, the fear of masked evil musicians...

gregmon79 likes this.
  13. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Slip-who? Bucket-what?

You kids and yer noise you call music. Now git offa my lawn!

@gregmon79's avatar I find strangely....Not scary, but strangely.....Compelling....Intriguing? Is that a bad sign??

And I think that wou be Gene Simmons-obia.

alecduncan likes this.
  14. Right you are, Gene Simmonsobia, I stand regretted. ;)

15. Hm absolutely transparent, what comes in, comes out and therefore eliminates a tone stack he says... does sound interesting, hopefully no bass loss. As good as their mojomojo sounds, this one might be worth getting. 300mA thou...

16. When it actually uses 300mA, this could be a hint that the tube is working as a tube and not just a marketing tool.

I really dig the housings with the top mounted jacks. So far they did at least something good...

17. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I started a preorder of one on musicians friend since for $50 it's worth a try to see how it is on bass. In the cart the expected ship date is 2/16/18, I wonder if anyone will have their hands on it sooner.

zapped777 likes this.
  18. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK
    UK retailer Gear4Music has it as
    Available for order. Estimated delivery: 21st - 22nd December
    but they're the only ones listing it so far, so I suspect that might be a bit of an optimistic guess.

edit: it's £49 here, so more like $67 :thumbsdown:

zapped777 likes this.
  19. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    Tick tick

20. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I saw that from simply doing a google search, doesn't make sense for me in the US. I'm sure some retailer will have it available before Feb. I may contact TCE for the hell of it.

edit: just saw on guitar center that it's available 1/9

zapped777 likes this.