Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TC Electronic XII B/K Programmable Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basstyra, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Hello everyone,

I just got this TC thing (it's a photo of mine) :
    [​IMG]

Perfect working and cosmetic condition. With the manual, the two "program" jacks, and the original sticker !

Well, it seems to be a great phaser, but I would like to have your opinion on it, if you know it. I had a MXR Phase 90, so I'm quite lost in those numerous buttons !! :D

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Anyway, here's my first impression on the thing.

First, quick description. In, Out, Power in (jack EHX style), Program.

The knobs : Speed, Function (in fact, shape for the internal filters, from pek to notch, linear at the middle), Width. And a switch to select 4, 8 or 12 stages.

Great conception. The led only lights a little time when the efect is switched ON, and when on batteries. Saves batteries, so. Quite smart. Normal led operation when external power is used.

Width at zero, the effect doesn't move. May be interesting for strange filters effects.

You can plug a expression (or a volume) pedal in Program, to make the phase rotate with the pedal. Hard to use, but as just a moving filter, it's great. The LFO doesn't work when a pedal is plugged.

The 2 Program jacks make the filter switch from original frequencies to lower (red jack) or higher (blue jack). In fact, there are only 2 resistors in these jacks. Quite interesting feature, but not really convenient to use. I may find a way to use a expression pedal for this feature. It's only resistors, so it should be easy.

The sound : well... not as "plug and play" as the MXR phase, of course !! Lots of tones. Almost too much. And I didn't manage yet to get this growling phaser I had with the MXR.

Anyway, it's TC, it's great, well built, beautifull sound.