TC electronics 250 vs Ibanez Premetheum

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbonite, Aug 13, 2018.

1. kirbonite

kirbonite

Aug 13, 2018
    Parts Unknown
    I'm a guitarist and banjo player turn bassist.
    Hi.. this is my first post.

I'm in the market for a portable guitar amp with some significant power. I play mostly for small churches and small clubs. This requires travel in tight spaces and I play with a pretty loud drummer. I also may play guitar through this amp on occassion.

I've narrowed my search to the TC electronics 2x8 250 watt
    and the Ibanez Promethum 1x10 300 watt

I'm leaning towards the TC as they have a good reputation but the size and boost in wattage makes the ibanez tempting.. I welcome opinions

2. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    50w will make little or no difference in output if both are operating at 4 ohms.

But are you looking primarily for a bass amp or a guitar amp?

3. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    The TC will be a better amp imo.

4. kirbonite

kirbonite

Aug 13, 2018
    Parts Unknown
    Primarily a bass amp but I do play other instruments and might like to double time on the amp sometimes.. thanks for the responses... confirming my hypothesis

5. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    If you're playing electric bass I might suggest the BG250 2x10 instead of the 2x8. The price is roughly the same and it will be a much better amp for the kind of double duty you require. In fact I would even rate the 1x12 ahead of the 2x8. JMHO

Munjibunga likes this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The Ibanez model is "Promethean" & IMHO they are awful. I tried one in a pawnshop once, but maybe it had just been abused before I got to it.

7. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I checked these out at a shop recently, side by side. The ibanez sounded fuller, punchier and louder. If you can find a shop that has both go with your bass and check them out, they do sound different.

8. Sounds like you got a hold of an abused unit. I owned one for a couple of years. Great amp w/ a great warranty, IMO.

dralionux likes this.
  9. kirbonite

kirbonite

Aug 13, 2018
    Parts Unknown
    Thanks for the opinions. Nice to know the Ibanez is worth wile but the owners did get rid of them. Nice to know the 2x12 might be a better cabinet. biggest temptation of the 2x8 is portability.. same with the Ibanez, youtube of Ibanez sounded muddy to me but youtube compresses sound so it's hard to know.. I have a guitar center in my area.. I doubt they have both.

10. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    my TC BH250 and Kseries 2-10 cab has served me well in tight spots. Mainly use for practice amp in woodshed, but also use for P&W and small quaint gigs. Easy transport, can just throw everything in back seat and go.

Attached Files:

11. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    The TC cabs are terrible, imo. They sound tubby and lifeless. The separate heads are good.

I 'd bypass both of those and get a GK MB 112. Sounds amazing, and super light. And trust me, as you grow as a bass player you may want to add another cab, once you realize it's limitations, which you can do with the GK, but not w the other 2. That right there is huge. 2x12 set can play almost any venue and keep up with a loud drummer.

kirbonite likes this.
  12. kirbonite

kirbonite

Aug 13, 2018
    Parts Unknown
    I banez Prometheum owners. Is it loud enough for a drummer ?

13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Promethean

14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    depends on what kind of music you play. if you play classic rock, these could be just the thing. on the other hand, i used to play with metal, hard rock and punk bands, and you'd never hear the bass over the drums with either of those combos.

it also depends on your drummer. a drummer with some self control will allow you to use either of these amps. a hard-hitter will mean you need more speaker area and wattage to be heard.

15. kirbonite

kirbonite

Aug 13, 2018
    Parts Unknown
    thanks... I won't be playing speed metal any time soon. The drummer is pretty loud but mostly with the cymbals. the music is r&b based.

16. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    It's mostly about the air you move. Playing w a live band, you are going to feel a single 10s weakness very quickly over time and wish you had gone bigger.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021