Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TC electronics or lexicon?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jul 20, 2005.

Which brand has the better quality?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2005.
  1. Lexicon

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. TC Electronic

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Alesis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rocktron

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. ART

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. cut the crap...the boss reverb stompbox pwns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. other (explain)

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. ok, so i am looking at moderately high-end multi-FX rack processors. and it looks like the two front runners are TC electronics and lexicon. i am mainly looking at the quality of the effects, mostly for delay and reverb. which of these two do you folks see as the better all-together value? i am not talking specific models, because i haven't made it that far yet, but i am pretty sure that the algorithm for reverb in each lexicon is the same one, and the same goes for TCE.
    so which is the better value? or am i completely wrong? is there some brand that i am unaware of? is Alesis better? maybe rocktron...well, tell me what you think.

2. I've got a Lexicon MPX200 and it's pretty hissy. A bit dissapointing really. Though I haven't tried any of their other stuff. The Alesis DM5 (drum machine) I have is pretty good noise wise.

3. so nobody here has ever tried either a lexicon or TCE? i find that hard to believe!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a Lexicon MPX-550 and an MPX-1. They both are superb. The MPX-1 has more capabilities, but the MPX-550 is easier to use in a live situation because of the four parameter knobs on the front. You really can't go wrong with either of these units.

However, I hang out over at ProSoundWeb, and there seems to be a preference for the TC M-OneXL which, at around $400, is priced the same as the MPX-550. I've never used one, but the word is that it has an even better user interface. If you're going to spend less than $400 on an effects unit, the quality is going to start falling off pretty quickly.

I think, between the Lexicon and TC, you've picked the right brands from which to choose. Avoid the temptation of B-word gear. You could get Alesis or DigiTech, but the quality isn't comparable.

FWIW, Lexicon and DigiTech are both owned by Harman Industries, as are Crown, JBL, dbx, AKG, BSS, Harman-Kardon, and a few others. No it's not a joke this time.

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I have some experience here. Alesis ---verbs are splashy, fiddily, and fairly low quality. (If you're on stage, btw, I think that none of the sound quality issues really matter.)

I have a TC D-Two, and I don't think you can beat it for the money. It isn't really a multiproc, though. I haven't tried any other TC gear.

Then there's Rocktron. If it's for a guitar (yes, bass guitar), I think they're great. They were thinking about guitar from the git-go, so they really make sense for us. Their reverbs have a bazillion parameters, chorus is great, and the bypasses are much cleaner IMO. They can be rigged to act like a series of stompboxes if you have the right MIDI pedal.

I've had a Lexicon Jamman and messed with an MPX G2. Those units are kind of junky, soundwise, I thought, although fun as heck. I think these two units are not representative of their other processors.

So, for the studio/bedroom, I don't really know. Gigging, I'd go Rocktron.

6. I was tempted by a TC Gmajor but got out bid :(

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There's another serious contender here, although at 2000 it might be a bit over your price range. Second hand maybe ?
    [​IMG]

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep, Eventide is good.