TC Electronics RebelHead 450 for metal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jansenh, Aug 27, 2009.

1. jansenh

jansenh

Nov 22, 2005
    Stavanger
    I am the metal-head that on a few occasions surfaced in various TC Electronics Rebel RH450 threads. Now, I have started my own thread on this topic, since I finally made the move and actually bought a RH450 w/footswitch, a RS210 and a RS212.

Some time ago I also asked the question about TCE for Metal which gave some good replies.

I play kind of straight forward and simple metal with Escapetor, using a ESP LTD bass, a StingRay HH and Fender P & J basses. Most of the time I play D'Addario Chromes (flats) using a pick. We have two loud guitars, ESP dudes with double 4x12's amplified with Mesa Boogie/Engel. A lot of noise in other words. Previously I used an Ampeg SVT-CL, a 810 and/or a 410HLF with a EBS compressor. I also enjoy the EBS Valve Drive a lot. We are lucky to have our own studio which also serves as the band-headquarter. Plenty of space, no other bands to share with, permanent setup gear, proper transportation etc.

In addition to my taste for metal, I play blues in various jam settings, hoping to get a permanent position during the next couple of years. Being able to participate in jams, being mobile and flexible is a factor what went into the decision. Really looking forward to playing that 2x12 in a blues-setting...

So, I got to borrow the TCE rig before I bought it, and tried it in our studio for a band rehearsal.

+ Plenty of loud enough, nice tubey tone, convenient operation with the memories and tuner.

+ The compressor is great and serves my needs perfectly.

+ At some point, I will probably experiment with the EBS ValveDrive and see what it will add, but at this point I will focus on using the built in tone-controls only and learn to understand the possibilities and limitations.

+ AND, the weight/size thing ... wow.

+ I might consider a 3rd cabinet, but not really sure. More gear to haul :-(

Tomorrow, Friday August 28th I am bringing it to a live concert for the first time. Really looking forward to try it on stage. Just a little tad worried about the stability of the rig when stacked vertically . . .

Cheers, Henning - Norway

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Good news so far...so if it's loud enough, if that 3rd cab just for looks?

3. jansenh

jansenh

Nov 22, 2005
    Stavanger
    That will be depending on if various live situations require more than what the two cabs will provide. Time will show.

, henning

4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It looks like it will drive 3 8 ohm cabs, but his logic in the video demo's seems off...did you get covers for them yet?

5. jansenh

jansenh

Nov 22, 2005
    Stavanger
    Yes, I have covers for both the 212 and 210, and the bag for the head. I have had this rig with me on two gigs now. The first gig, I used the 210 and 212 with great success, the second gig I used the RebelHead to propel a SVT810 that was already on the stage. Works equally well.

The TC Electronics RH450 is a success so far, after 3-4 rehearsals and 2 gigs. I might add in an EBS ValveDrive for more grit and dirt, and compare ith with what I get from the built-in TubeTone.

./henning - norway

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You can't expect it to drive 3 cabs. It is 4 ohm, not 2 ohm stable.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    From the videos, you can drive 3 8ohm cabs...

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

From videos, people can fly in the sky and every girl looks like Beyonce.
    The specs on the site, back panel and manual state that it's 4 ohm stable.
    Since all TC cabs are 8 or 4 ohms, you can not drive 3 of them.

9. The TC cabs are 8ohms. IF you use their cabs, TC approves the use of three cabs. Nominal cab impedance varies, and I assume TC has worked out that the 450 will operate safely when combining three of THEIR 8ohm nomimal impedance cabs. That either means that the head is safe to 2.67 ohms, and they don't want to take a chance with people using three '8ohm cabs' that might have a nominal impedance a touch lower than some, OR their cabs have a nominal impedance a bit higher than 8ohms.

FYI. Seems a bit strange to me also, but if they support it, it should be cool.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Yes I understand this. They even demonstrate using 3 cabs in the manual. Still they state one shouldn't go under 4 ohms. A very unclear statement isn't it?

11. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    I just got the TC RH450 dont have the matching cabs-YET- but i can see that coming. running it into a Trace 2x15 now . The head is everything i thought it would be ,love it . I havent figured out why you can run 3 cabs as long as they are T C .but they must have done their homework -i bet it would be awesome with two 2x12's and one 2x10 .sounds great with the Trace ,but this cab i Heavy Heavy .

12. I agree

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    That's not what it states at all. It's very clear that you can use any 3 TC cabs, or 4ohm minimum of any other brand. Uffe also posted here that you could use three 8 ohm cabs of another brand if you wanted, that this wouldn't immediately damage the head as they've built in enough protection to cover it, but it could shorten the life span of the head over time if you continue to do so.

14. I think the confusion is that issue... why would three 8ohm TC cabs 'not shorten the life' of the amp, but three 'other brand cabs' will shorten the life. Very strange to me... not a huge deal, more or a 'wha??!?' than anything else.

I again assume that they are just covering themselves against possible issues with other cabs (like, for example, some of the EA speakers) being significantly less than 8ohm when marked 8ohm nominal impedance.

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I think they could put a quick blurb in the user manual about why this is so, but it does make sense. From the discussions I've seen here at TB, there is quite a bit of variance between the nominal and reactive resistance when comparing drivers. It makes sense to me that TC would be comfortable with three of their own 8 ohm cabs since they know the exact specs, and as Uffe said they designed the rh450 specifically to drive three of them without problem.

There are better metrics that all manufacturer's could post other than nominal resistance (if they only would), but since that's the common thing, it does make mixing and matching guess work.

16. GlynngTx

GlynngTx

Oct 9, 2009
    You could if you wire the 8 ohm-ers in parallel and then wire that group in series with the 4 ohm-er. But you certainly don't have enough headroom to make em really talk..

17. jansenh

jansenh

Nov 22, 2005
    Stavanger
    I added one more RS210 to my already existing RH450+RS212+RS210. Got to try out both options of adding either a 210 or 212 before I decided. For my kinds of use the 210 made sense, but I must admit I was tempted by the 212 as well. Anyhow, the result was not so much louder, but a fuller, richer sound. Especially the drummer appreciated the additional 210.

I am amazed by the presence of the sound generated by this setup. Since I got the TC Electronics gear the gui****s stopped complaining about me being too loud, still to my ears I never played as loud as now.

Cheers, Henning - Norway
    http://www.myspace.com/bluesbassmann

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Can you comment on the 212/210 stack versus dual 210's? I have the 212/210, which seems to be great outside or on VERY large stages, but indoors in smaller areas I think dual 210's might be better. Smaller size with a tighter bottom end with chance of getting boomy.

19. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    Does anyone here has an idea about how many watts does the RH450 deliver when
    a)1
    b)2
    c)3 RS cabs are connected to it?

20. I believe 320 into 8ohms (the TC Marketing guy posted in one of the threads), 450 into 4ohms, and my guess is identical wattage at 2.67 ohms as 4ohms (450).

These are 'loud' watts also... this thing wumps.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021