1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tc Electronics Spectracomp to Boss Cs2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist96, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    Hey everyone!

Im looking for a new compressor since mine died in "The great orange juice flood of 2017" and im looking at the new Tc Spectracomps. does anyone know if you can get the sound of a Old Boss Cs2 out of them?

Cheers

2. I don't know but I use a real boss CS-2 and know they can still be found for sale online used because I occasionally look for good deals on them to have backups. Are you looking for something smaller because you don't have room on your board?

Bassist96 likes this.
  3. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Get another cs-2.

4. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    Yeah I am currently looking for something smaller, dont use a compressor that much to worry about the realestate.

5. I've never used a CS2 (baring a Berlinger clone which died after 2 days), but I do have a spectracomp. I'm not much of a compressor guy but I found it can add a thickness and sustain to my sound.

Bassist96 likes this.
  6. Sounds like you need an Orange Squeezer...

OrangeSqueezer1.jpg

These have since been squeezed down to a 1590A and even smaller (Henretta Engineering's Orange Whip).

Course, the Orange Squeezer, its clones and derivatives are nothing like a CS-2 sound. Since the CS-2 loses some low-end, maybe consider something newer, bass friendly.

See if there's anything you like in the Ovnilab reviews.

Bassist96 likes this.
  7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You have the new Valeton CS-10 that's a clone of the CS2 in a smaller package. I haven't tried one yet but it's on my list of interesting new compressor choices.

CS-10 - valeton

Bassist96 likes this.
  8. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    There are Lots of great tone prints to try as well as the whole editor if you want to modify specifics, but I doubt you could match Boss's mediocre bypass and hiss and low fidelity! well, actually you could roll off the highs and lows, but the grit, no, tc is too clean for that. (apart from the bypass which isn't a factor for an always on pedal, the bandwidth & grit isn't necessarily bad or perceivable on some rigs). Having an online sit down where you can try any tone print for the pedal and have it manifest immediately while plugged in is Lots of fun, and when you find your favorite compressor, you are satisfied. If not, you can fix it. I have a tc spectra in a Superego loop, I don't remember which tone print, but it's pow'fl, keeps the tone flowing. I use a Hypergravity in my main line because of the ability to change dry mix and attack, using the Rudy Szaro toneprint Heaven & Hell.

azfatboy and Bassist96 like this.
  9. I've read before that the CS-2 loses low end. I have to say I've never actually experienced that myself. Maybe it's seems that way because it helps bring out the midrange and attack but I've recorded two albums with it using 5 strings and never had issue with not having enough low end.

Winton likes this.
  10. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    Can anyone recommend just a really cool vintage sounding compressor without the lowed loss, if its a good enough pedal im not to worried about the realestate :) but still very interested in the spectracomp

11. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Henretta Engineering's Emerald Prince (based on the preamp from the Echoplex EP-3) leading to the Orange Whip (compressor) is a nice little 1-2 punch for just about any setup.

I can't say enough good things about the Emerald Prince... it's always on in my Henretta unit.

12. I just got my SpectraComp it is awesome, my tone went thru the roof huge sounding, fuller. Love it!

Winton and gregmon79 like this.
  13. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Cool! Which tone print are you using?

14. I havent set up Tone Print yet, I just took out of box and played with it. It sounds great I'm running first
    Bass>SpectraComp>Microtubes B3K>Behringer Bass EQ>Amp. No Issues at all best tone ever!!!! However
    if my chain of pedals is wrong or could run better let me know.

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Oh, nothing wrong with your setup. I was just wondering about the tone print. There are a bunch of really really awesome tone prints for the Spectracomp. Check them out! :bassist:

jalapejoe likes this.
  16. I certainly will, I bought it and wasnt even aware of Tone Print LOL, now I'm excited!

gregmon79 and veryvery like this.
  17. I could be wrong but isn't the CS-2 mostly used to colour the sound similar to metal guitarists who always have a Tube screamer in front of the amp?

I know Juan uses it like that.

18. A good starting point to mimic the CS-2 it was working not as a multiband mode in yout TC Spectracomp.

19. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Never played the CS2, surprisingly, so I can't really comment on if you can get what it does out of the TC. But I do have and use the TC and it's on at all times. To me it's like a comp and tone sweetener all rolled into and there are a lot of great tone prints available that are very broad in range. So I would think you could get close to what the CS2 did for you especially if you dig into the Tone Editor. But again, never played one. And I'm def no comp aficionado. I do know that I am very happy with the TC though. Great pedal/comp IMO.

Randy Ward likes this.
  20. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    +1

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021