TC Nether or Sub n' Up?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JN8642, Aug 13, 2018.

1. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Heya,

So I'm in the market for a octave pedal to use w/ a fuzz and a filter for synth type sounds.

Currently looking into these two as both of their prices are very attractive. All input is appreciated! Thanks in advance y'all!

2. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    It all depends on what you're aiming for. I have the TC Sub N' Up and I don't bond very much with the down octave sound. It sounds a bit muddy and not that much punchy or synthy, but I really like withe the upper octave mixed and the versatility that you can get with the toneprints, where you can add diferent types of modulation and even drives, and the tracking is really good since it's a digital octave pedal.
    The Nether Octave gets more in the OC2 territory, more synthy and better sounding lower octave. But since it's an analogic octave it can sound more glitchy and doesn't track that at the lower registers.
    Another option that you could consider is the Valeton OC-10. It's one of my favourite octave pedals, sounds very similar to the OC-2 and it's tinny and quite affordable.

3. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Thank you for your help I'll look into that one!

4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    The Nether seems like an OC-2 clone, in which case there are some other clones worth looking at. Cheapest of which is the Danelectro Chili Dog I believe.

The Octave Multiplexer is another interesting analog octaver, and the Eleca Black Hurricane is a dirt cheap clone. Only has a blend to control the octave/clean ratio but has a unique dual filter EQ.

5. bassrest

bassrest

May 19, 2005
    I have the tc nether and an old oc2. The tc is much deeper than the oc2 and tracks better also stacks very well for synth sounds. The oc 2 is way more in the midrange. I use them both all the time. The nether is highly recommended by me. So cheap and very powerful.

JN8642 and Sunset Shalom like this.
  6. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    How did you like the Multiplexer?

7. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    Honestly the subnup sucked. It's way too muddy for me. The octabvre from 3leaf is about 1000 times better.

Nunovsky likes this.
  8. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I just have the china clone but I think it's killer for the price, haven't tried many octavers but it has a really great thick/organic sound. The dual filter set up is pretty unique too, can go from very low/thick to more trebly/raspy octave sounds especially with the low filter switched off. Perfect for some synthy stuff especially combined with other effects. The blend is kind of simple but works great, can go from 100% clean to 100% octave. Haven't tried the dry out yet.

I don't use a ton of octave effects but it's fun to have around to experiment with, great for "bass lines" on guitar or crazy deep rumblings on bass. Also had some fun with it on mono synths, or even poly ones for glitchy tracking.

The one common complaint I see is that it cuts volume at some settings, due to the dual filters and simple blend control. But it also boosts volume at other settings and can be set fairly even, there are some mods to add a volume control though. Some sort of output boost mod that gives you a control over the output level as well, have considered trying it eventually. EHX also made deluxe/big box Multiplexers but they are vintage/expensive, the deluxe ones have some interesting extra features though. Built in fuzz, -1/-2 octave blend + clean blend. They lack the dual filters though, hope to find ways to mod some of the deluxe features onto the newer version one day. The deluxe ones sound crazy.

TL/DR multiplexer is fun/unique but not perfect, the Eleca Black Hurricane clone is 30$ on ebay and is very worth trying for the price!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021