1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC RH450-as a pre into Crown XTi power amp troubles.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geoff Firebaugh, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Geoff Firebaugh

Geoff Firebaugh

Apr 1, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Endorsing artist:Blast Cult, BNA Audio, Fender, Innovation Stings, K&K
    I have a TC RH450, that I'm consdering using as frontend with a power amp for big shows, so I can get a break from lugging my 82 SVT around.

So, I borrowed a Crown XTi 6002 from a buddy. (the 6002 is waay too much power, but I wanted to try the interface and eq's out, because I'm looking into the 1002). I'm running from the RH450's Insert line out, to the channel one input of the Crown, using a balanced 1/4" to XLR cable. I'm only using one side of the crown as I don't want to blow my cabinet. (one side at 4 ohms is 2100 watts, vs. Bridgeing which is 6000 watts). I'm getting very little volume. like the 450 watt TC is a good 50% louder than what I'm getting out of one side of the Crown. Is the insert out, not hot enough to properly drive the crown?
    signal chain-
    Bass---Wireless--TC R450 head Insert out (+8dbu) -- XLR inputs of crown (linked inputs for +6 db input boost)--- BNA/fEARful 1515/66/1

thanks!!!

-g

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Have you tried the "line Driver" out, just to see if there's a difference? I know that one should be a super hot signal.

3. Geoff Firebaugh

Geoff Firebaugh

Apr 1, 2004
    Nashville TN
    yes. the Line Driver out is even worse. it's a +0 dbu max output versus the +8 insert out. I'm a little discouraged. I really like the front end on the TC, but the power section sounds anemic through my big cabs. Especially after using a vintage SVT for years.

thx
    g

4. Get an RH750

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Looking at the signal flow chart, that jack you are trying to use looks like a standard console insert. (send / receive on a TRS plug) You probably want a mono plug inserted to the first click only if you want to keep the signal moving to the main out or inserted to the second click if you want to interrupt it. Hard to tell by that diagram.

The manual says use a "standard instrument cord" in the the top jack.

Try using a regular cord and I bet it'll wake up

6. Geoff Firebaugh

Geoff Firebaugh

Apr 1, 2004
    Nashville TN
    I'll try that, the manual for the RH450 said it was balanced out, so I went TRS. Lemme see what happens.

Thanks!

7. I think this is the best way to do it. You should get 6 extra dB when you drive the power amp differentially respect to single ended. Additionally you reduce problems with ground loops picking noise from stage lights or similar.

I assume you are turning the power amp volume to the max. I also assume the DSP is not applying any extra attenuation. You could use the DSP to boost the signal, datasheet says you have a +/- 15dB volume shift. I think it is included in the crossover section. This will not cause saturation, perhaps some minor noise in the (small) portion tof he signal chain between connector and ADC. It's contribution to total noise should be very small. For noise coming from the RH540, it's the same if you boost gain in the DSP or if the power amp was already more sensitive (you'll bost both signal and noise the same).