1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TC RH750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marineman227, Aug 4, 2012.

1. The search has started for a new amp and the TC RH750 is one of the top contenders. I have read through the threads here, read reviews elsewhere, watched youtube videos etc. I like a lot of the features on the amp but it seems like the TC craze was a fad that most people are getting over now. None of what I've read really tells you why they're not what they were at this time last year. Is there something about them that I should be wary of or is it a fair contender in the $1000 range?

Let me explain the things I (in theory) like about it and you guys can tell me if I'm on the right track or not. First and foremost I like the 3 channel memory, as a general rule I bring 3 basses to each gig; 1 passive P special, 1 active 4 string, and an active 5 string. They each have their place in the type of music we play and I like the idea of having a preset for each bass so I just plug in hit the switch and go with the tone I'm looking for. The reason behind different basses is looking for different tone on different songs so this is really a huge consideration for me. Second the built in compressor, I have never had a compressor nor played through one but it's on the shopping list so it saves me a trip. Third the tube tone seems like a neat idea, the youtube videos I've seen don't really do the greatest job showing it off but from what I have seen it seems like I could add just the right amount of warmth while still keeping my modern sound (we play a lot of 70's rock with a somewhat punky edge to it). Like I said the 3 memory banks is way way up there on my list of priorities but I think I could get close to that with a sansamp BDDI (3 channel) paired with another amp.

So now the ball's in your court. Tell me am I on the right track looking at the RH750 or is there another setup that would put me in a better place? I'm coming from an Ashdown Mag300 if it makes a difference. Current cabinets are 4x10 & 1x15 but with the RH750 eventually hoping for 2-4x10 & 2x12.

2. PS. Guitar center is the only local retailer with any selection of amps and 99% of what they have is Markbass so for anything other than that I won't be able to try in person and will have to order online.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a strong feeling that the RH's have lost favour around here because of the highly inflated wattage ratings. For example, the rh450, though rated at 450w is actually benched at 236w. You may want to look into that further as I am not sure how that applies to the rh750, but it likely does since they are basically the same amp.

I hear you on amp functionability. I have a mini pedal board with three units: pitchblack tuner, source audio programmable eq and a sansamp paradriver. the SA eq has 4 eq settings available at the touch of a button and is the size of a regular boss pedal. Very cool. I use this pedal board with any amp and add huge versatility/function. I don't use the paradriver all the time, but its nice to have the option of adding instant fatness or even some overdrive.

My amp is a gk mb800, FWIW. Quite loud and sounds great close to flat.

source audio programmable eq

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The BH250 looks to have many of the same features as the RH heads - you just get to them differently.

If TCE is more honest on their power specs now, the bh250 might actually be more powerful than the rh750

5. In terms of getting features you want in one package (quality presets, tube sound emulation, tuner, compressor, DI), the RH750 would seem to be a great choice. There is a lot of control of tone, and if you can harness it, from the aspect of having 3 separate settings at your fingertips, you should be very pleased.

A question mark would be where you use the term "modern sound." I'm not one to be able to translate all of the various descriptions given into the things I hear, but going by what others say, if you're looking for "modern" (which seems to have mostly to do with the "cleanness"), the RH750 may not do what you want with ease. In it's natural range, people use "wooly" and "vintage" to describe it. There are those who say that using the midpoint setup and EQ on the RH, they get the "modern" tone they're looking for.

If the number of watts on bench testing is important to you, without regard to how loud it is or whether it meets your needs and tonal goals, then it wouldn't be a good choice.

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    The RH750 is my main amp. I love the built in tuner and mute button. The presets are handy, but I don't really take advantage of them. As a studio direct box, it is outstanding. The RH750 is 236W, but that rating is more about how it limits transients than it is about volume. This amp is LOUD, and it sounds good.

Its natural sound is a bit on the vintage side, but with the four band semi-parametric and tweetertone, the eq is very flexible. If you like modern sounding amps, though, you might want to look elsewhere. The RH750 emulates a tube amp; the gain knob can push the amp into a mild overdrive before clipping and without using tubetone. You can back off the gain and it mostly goes away, but when you dig in, it tends to respond with some midrange grit. You either like that sound or you don't. I do, but sometimes I find myself looking for settings to make it just a little cleaner sounding.

I ave to admit, it surprises me that Mark King likes this amp. I wouldn't think it would be his thing at all.

Edit: I have had a lot of trouble with the knobs and buttons holding up. In one year, I have had to contact support three times over this. I am currently waiting on replacement knobs from TC. Their support is great, but I have had to use it three times already. I'm starting to turn my head in the GenzBenz or Ampeg direction.

7. coedvette

coedvette

Dec 7, 2009
    I've run the rh450 for 3 years and it's been great. Use the presets for different basses with different output & eq needs.

Early on mine had a hyperactive safety shutoff with questionable main voltage, TC sent a replacement & it's been perfect since.

I've demo'd the 750 & it can be a bit more open in the hi frequencies with tweeter tone cranked up.

Ran the 450 with TC RS210 cabs now using a Bergantino HD210. It's a great combination...the clearer articulation of the berg vs the "wooly" vintagey sound of the amp

Cheers

Ed

8. Great amp, versatile and loud.

9. Most users are happy. Difficult to find second hand probably for this reason. The only small flaw is the knobs. In your case where you seem to use different tones from different basses, you'll find the presets (and the pedal if you buy it) very useful.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not a fan of digital amps because they always sound like the MP3 version of the amps they emulate, but I will agree that presets are cool, and digital is about the only way to make that happen in an amp unless your amp has separate switchable channels.

11. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    As I understand it, the TC is an all-analogue preamp with digital control for the presets.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I guess it has an analog EQ section, but the APM circuit is digital, as are all the other extra features on it, and you can't take the APM circuit out, so I consider that a digital amp.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Interesting. So the rh450 and rh750 are the same watts but actual volume is different?

Still I can see how 133w at 8 ohms for the rh750 could be problematic...

14. So you might think

15. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I hear what you are saying. And, being an RH750 owner, I hear what you are saying. These amps sound good, though, even if it is just emulating good tone.

I dont really understand the volume difference between the 450 and the 750, because they are the same rating. My understanding is that the 750 is louder, but I can't confirm this.

Also, I have no idea what its power rating at 8 ohms really is. Heck, I don't even know what its rating at 4 ohms is. If you read the PDF on TC's site, you will find they claim 236 watts at the amp's minimum load of 2.66 ohms. These numbers really only have meaning academically, though, and the subject has been beaten to death. At 4 ohms, this amp is really loud. At 8 ohms, this amp is really loud. It can hang volume-wise with its competition.

16. I have owned both, and the RH750 does have the capacity to be louder than the RH450.

And that is the point IMO...

If you insist on using rated wattage as the measuring stick, its loudness capacity far exceeds various other amps rated at ~200-250 watts at 4 ohms.

I'd think most people use their amps at a level sufficiently loud for their purposes, not to levels that constantly test and compare maximum potential. The RH750 demonstrably has the capability of being sufficiently loud for various applications, from those of some touring pros to weekend bar giggers to garage jammers.

17. carpetdoor

carpetdoor

Aug 5, 2012
    You could upgrade from the mag to an ashdown abm, its got the tube preamp and sounds awesome. I would also go for the bddi for your sound changes and an pedal compressor like an aguilar. Personally i think class d power sections sound weird to my ears and you may be trying to fit too many eggs into one basket by wanting so many features from the amp alone.

18. badboyb

badboyb

Aug 27, 2009
    australia
    There's no two ways about it....
    The RH450 and RH750 are LOUD.

Forget the watts, they are blow-your-socks-off loud.
    No if's or but's about it.

19. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm not really concerned about the wattage and how its rated mostly looking for the other features but loud is good as the guitarist tends to get a little carried away with the volume knob and while we're working on building our pa can't fully carry the bass just yet. I'm liking the thought of 2- 4x10s and a 2x12 to really move some air. I just wish we had a better selection locally so I could try a bunch of amps and see what I really like

20. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Good point. I'll also think wattage is just part of the equation. Speaker surface area and cab sensitivity is likely just as important if not more important than watts. For example, I would rather play thru a 410 with 200w than a 112 with 500w.