TC RS Series Vertical Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fisticuffs, Jan 13, 2015.

1. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Anyone done this? I've been gigging with the RH450 head/RS210C combo cab for over 4 years but I just added the RS212. I was thinking I could just take the 2x12 and head but for some gigs use both. I wouldn't normally mix 10's and 12's, or 10's and 15's or whatever, but this seems like if nothing else it'd hit my ears a lot better. Anyone done this? Moving the top cab forward and back allegedly affects phase.... anyone had problems with that?

2. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I have the exact same setup, I'm pretty sure there are others here as well with the exact setup. Sounds fantastic to me. I havent noticed a difference sliding the top cab forwards or back. But when it's back, there is just enough room for a beer can or bottle. LOL

3. fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Well that's also important to me. I'll give it a go this weekend. I don;t have room to take both every gig. Do you notice a significant difference between just the 210 and 212?

4. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    To be honest. I bought them at the same time and haven't actually played them separately. But my plan was 210 for small places and practice. 212 for bigger and both for biggest shows. But I just love having the tower behind me and use both everywhere. LOL

5. fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Yeah I planned to buy another cab shortly after I got the combo but never really needed it until recently. I was thinking about putting some rubber feet on it, my combo is in pretty rough shape after gigging it for 5 years. Any issues with doing that? If anything I'd think it would decouple it from the floor and the result would be positive but strange things happen with bass frequencies....

6. I mixed and matched RS210s and RS212s for a while. I never went in for the "acoustic tilt" idea. If the science says it works, that fine, but it didn't really have any impact in my use, so the aesthetic of having the front flush won out for me. The 212 is going to put out a bit more sound, but in a vertical stack that kind of works out anyway.

Is there a significant difference between the 210 and 212? Significance is relative and subjective. In my experience the most significant difference was the capacity for loudness (with that comes the ability to be fatter at higher volume). That difference was enough that I ended up using a single 212 almost all of the time; YMMV. Needing or wanting to have that additional capacity made that the move for me where the choice was one or the other. As far as character goes, I think there are differences, but I also think at equal levels, they're more similar than different. In that context, if I were blindfold and you played one, I certainly wouldn't have been able to say "That's the 210, and I can tell because of X." Again, I felt the most definable differences came into play at higher levels (where the capabilities of the 210 are overtaken).

slade likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021