1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC Spectra Comp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jan 21, 2016.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Not sure if there is a thread of this yet, but if not, there is now ;)

What do you guys think of the idea of TCs new, single knob, bass comp coming out?? I'm no comp guy at all. I know little to nothing about it. But I'd be interested to hear what guys who really know comp say about this one.

(Sorry about the FB vid link. I couldn't find it on YouTube)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Farrin D and Blu bro like this.
  2. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    looks like it could be pretty handy.. so small too.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Those were my thoughts too. It would be pretty cool if it was actually a good comp too. But then I can't imagine something that simple and small being that great a comp. But then, I don't know poopie about comps.

4. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I am very limited myself when it comes to compressors but i am either buying into a fancy sales pitch or I am being convinced that it could be extremly helpful to me in my live rig.

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. LowOlli

LowOlli

Jun 24, 2014
    If you only look inside, SpectraComp and HyperGravity are identical. Same algorithm, same parameters. There should be no differences in sound. Therefore the posts about HyperGravity should be valid for SpectraComp too.
    The differences are on the outside: smaller size, just one knob, no fixed presets. And the color! ;)

My personal experience with bass compressors is, as soon as you found the best setting for your tone, you never touch it again. Maybe you even don't switch it off at all.
    The fact that there's only one knob available for setting up the compressor is no as bad as you might think, because up to three parameters can be assigned to this single knob. So a turn of a single knob can change a lot. And if you want to change the setting frequently you only have to set up one knob and not three or four...

So if you're happy with the available TonePrints or if you like to dive deeper into multi-band-compression and use the TonePrint editor to get the best out of this device, SpectraComp might be a great thing for you. I really love it.

MrRubi04 and gregmon79 like this.
  6. I've heard reports that the Hyper Gravity is a little noisy compared to other compressors. But, I've not tried one myself. But if I was in the market for a different compressor...it would be one of the new small cali's.

7. LowOlli

LowOlli

Jun 24, 2014
    My idea about the noise which users hear from the HyperGravity is caused by the "Auto-Makeup Gain" function. The algorithm takes the actual thresholds and compression ratios and calculates tho gain from this to keep the 0dB-point fixed. On the one hand you don't have to adjust the level if you change threshold/compression ratio. But it often leads to automatic gain settings which are far to high for my taste.
    So my assumption is that the noise which some perceive is amplified input noise.

But you can avoid this when creating your own TonePrints. Just switch off "Auto-Makeup Gain" and the noise is gone.

I'm confident the TonePrints for SpectraComp will be optimized for bass and so it may be more usefull for us in his default state than the HyperGravity.

8. I talked to one of the TC guys two days ago about the Hypergravity, do you really think the Hypergravity and this new compressor are the same (more or less)? The guy said that the Hypergravity was thought to be used with guitar, but that it could work just fine with bass. He didn't make me confident about it actually, but if it's similar to the Spectracomp they both would work in the same way for guitar and bass.
    Just wondering because I am very interesting in these pedals

gregmon79 likes this.
  9. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    TC's social media guy, Stefan Fast, indicated that the Spectracomp pedal is indeed the exact same as the Spectracomp setting on the Hypergravity but it's just tuned specifically for bass frequencies out of the box. It can accept beamed Toneprints or edited with the Toneprint editor if you want to tweak beyond the default settings. $99 is not a bad price but having tried the Hypergravity, I don't know if I'm going to jump on this right away.

javi_bassist likes this.
  10. If this anything like the spectracomp in the th 750. Then it is not a very good compressor IMO. The spectra mop of the rh750 squashes the low end too much.

11. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    I really liked the SpectraComp Toneprint in the BH800. In fact, it was almost an "always on" feature when I had that amp.
    If this sounds like that, I will be very pleased with it.

bassballs75 likes this.
  12. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Bit of info about it here:

13. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    excellent video.....thank you.
    Makes me want to get one......ahhhh G.A.S.....it never goes away....just when you think you've got it licked.....lol....I have 5 comps here already.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    armybass and Jeff O'Connor like this.
  14. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Why oh WHY do I do these things?!?!? I just ordered one from Sweetwater so we'll see if it works. I prefer the 'set it and forget it always on' compressors and I've tried a number of different ones, only to always come back to my lowly BBE Opto Stomp. I'll give this one a shot and see what happens.

TC Electronic SpectraComp Mini Bass Compressor

jcerio and loopee like this.
  15. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Please post your comparison when you get the SpectraComp in your hands.

Jamvan likes this.
  16. bassfootballguy

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    @Jamvan,
    What ones have you tried and which version of the Opto do you have?

17. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I've used a couple of the different built in compressors in the Boss GT-6B and the Zoom B3 and then switched to a dedicated pedal with the early BBE Opto Stomp (yellow pedal with green LED) being the first one I picked up. I swapped that out with the original BBE with the blue LED (below) which I really like. But GAS keeps me hunting and I've tried an Empress, Diamond and the TC Hypergravity but didn't find them to be any better (for me) than the much less expensive BBE. I'm looking at the Spectracomp in the hopes it can come close to the BBE in a much smaller footprint which would allow me to add a chorus to my board.

image.

18. bassfootballguy

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    Wow. What made it better than the Diamond or Empress? And isn't the SpectraComp a repackaged Hypergravity?

19. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    The Empress was too much for me and I couldn't dial it in. The Diamond was nice but not $150 better nice (BBE was $50). And yes, the Spectracomp is that particular setting from the Hypergravity but it's specifically tuned for bass whereas the HG was primarily for guitar (but could be tweaked to work for bass).

As I said in a prior post, I'm a set it and forget it compression user and the allure of the small footprint and only 1 knob is too much for me to resist. I hope it works for my sound.

javi_bassist likes this.
  20. I liked the spectroscopy on my old rh450, so am looking forward to maybe trying one of these.