1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TC SubnUp vs. EH Micropog

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BK bassist, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey all,

I'm looking to buy an octave pedal that's relatively easy to use and navigate through the different tonal options. I've narrowed it down to one of these 2

The most important feature for me is the "UP" octave feature, not just the "DOWN" octave(s) as I generally play in the lower registers with the project I'd be using this pedal for. I'm looking to fill out the sound of the power trio I play in.

I've watched a lot of videos of shootouts and read the reviews on both and while I really like the super simple format of the 3 knob MicroPog, The TC seems to sound better to me ...... but we all know that Youtube videos aren't the best for hearing "true" tone.

I find that the TC has a better sound and the tone print thing seems kind of cool but I've never used that feature and I cant see myself "beaming" a tone print into my pickup during a gig.

So ... can anyone who has used these pedals offer some advice as to the pros and cons of each and the tonal differences? .... If you could have either one, which do you choose and why?

Thanks!

2. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    aaaaaaand then this pops up on my YouTube alert screen .....

Ugh, that tone is ridiculously sweet!

willsellout likes this.
  3. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I’ve used both, and prefer the TCE.

For bass, the mini seems more suitable, as it eliminates the 2nd octave down knob.

4. Sweet baby Jesus!

BK bassist likes this.
  5. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great point, thanks.

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    But you can remap that 2nd octave down knob to anything from a tone control to a chorus effect, so it might be worth having after all!

Jakeman, BK bassist and tfer like this.
  7. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I love the flexibility that the editor provides, but honestly I’m too lazy to dig deeply in for the time being.

The available tone prints are more than sufficient for me.

8. If you tend to use it distorted, don’t forget about the mxr submachine. Fat suboctave, switchable up-octave and a fuzz that is usable on its own.
    My own favorite!

BK bassist likes this.