1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TCE RH450 Effects Loop Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JusttheBassics, Jun 23, 2016.

1. JusttheBassics

JusttheBassics Guest

Jun 23, 2016
    Hey Folks,

I'm a lifelong musician, but new to bass and electronics. I have a TCE RH450 that I am really enjoying, but I am playing with the idea of getting an EQ pedal to act as a separate EQ apart from the EQ on the head, for a different, perhaps more modern, or "clean" sound, rather than the inherent warmth of the RH450.

My understanding is that the RH450 has a serial effects loop, so I have a question regarding how it all hooks up, and perhaps this will spark some guidance:

If I want an EQ independent of the head's EQ, do I hook the pedal up to the send/return of the effects loop and then plug my bass into the head as normal, then when I want to bypass the head's EQ, I engage the pedal?

Sorry if this all sounds lame, but I'm really new to this stuff.

Thanks.

2. Hi there,
    I'm not sure if an EQ pedal will get you there? You might be able to put the pedal in front of the amp. Bass-pedal-amp but I don't think it will alter the overall tone or feel of the RH. Usually stacking EQ's or preamps causes some unwanted tones. Too much eq!
    If you like the RH just spend some more time with it. Make a preset without any of the tubedrive and reduce some low mids and just a smidge of compression perhaps? The EQ points on the RH can be changed as well by using their secondary function. If that doesn't work buy a different preamp and run that into the effects return of the RH. That will bypass the preamp and EQ on the RH entirely.
    Hope this helps!
    Good luck!
    Brent

3. Most pedals are not meant for line level signals (effects loop). You can make it work but it will not bypass the head's tone section that way, only process the signal after the head's preamp further.

4. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    If you want to bypass amps eq plug your bass into the pedal then the pedal into the effects return. Might not get enough volume but it's worth a try

5. JusttheBassics

JusttheBassics Guest

Jun 23, 2016
    Arai:

Would there be a way to A/B switch the feed from the bass between the amp's tone section (normal, into the amp) vs. into the effects return to run a separate chain? What I would hope to accomplish is to have access to all the features of the RH450 and then, via switch, a bypassed chain into the effects return.

6. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    You could use an a/b pedal

7. Sorry to respond to the question you’re asking with questions, but I’d really recommend some conceptual (sanity) checks…

First, you have an amp that has a relatively powerful EQ. Have you really exhausted its capabilities for shaping your sound? With semi-parametric control on all 4 bands, there’s a lot of adjustment in there. From what I see, I don’t believe that most RH owners know how to effectively take advantage of that capability.

The basis of “the sound” you get is inherent in the bass and the strings you’re using. Do you know that your bass (as it’s set-up and strung) is capable of giving you the sound you’re after? Some things aren’t going to happen…like “I have a P-Bass with flats, and I want to EQ an more of a dual soapbar with SS rounds sound” (or vice versa).

Same thing (to a lesser degree) applies to your cabinet. What cabinet(s) are you using? If you’ve paired your RH with an RS cabinet, you’ve got a cabinet that’s designed to have a baseline sound along the lines of a “vintage,” sealed cabinet. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a range of sounds that it’s capable of, but it does mean some attention to overcoming the inherent nature is needed.

I’d suggest making some efforts with the RH’s midpoints, and doing things that tend toward a cleaner sound; turn off tubetone, use some spectracomp, and use subtractive EQing (cutting, instead of boosting, frequencies).

8. JusttheBassics

JusttheBassics Guest

Jun 23, 2016
    Drpepper: thank you for your post. Actually, after three months with this head I am fairly adept at shaping the sound. Perhaps I should have focused my question on the mechanics of how the effects loop works and what happens when you plug certain things in at certain points. I actually like the sound of the RH450 a lot, and I bought it with the thought that I wanted a "warmer" amp than the 3 band Fender practice amp I started with. And yes, I have it paired with a TCE RS 210. Your comments about the characteristics of that cab are most appreciated.

I am intrigued by the possibility of expanding the sonic capabilities of the rig via the effects loop.