Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TE AH200 louder than Carvin R600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    So I just bought a used Trace Elliot AH200 (circa early 90s) and I figured I'd test the sound quality against my Carvin R600. So I plugged into the Carvin and played for a bit to get the tone, sound quality and volume stuck in my head.

Then I plugged into the AH200 (we're talking 200 watts vs 600 for the Carvin), turned it on, set the volume at the same level as the Carvin (set on 1), adjusted the 12-band and gain accordingly and proceeded to shake the freaking walls with the first string movement.

Basically, I had to turn it AND my bass DOWN in order to match the volume level I had previously on my Carvin.

Keeping in mind that I was running each head through the same pair of 8 ohm cabs, thus not even being able to realize the full 600 or 200, why in the hell would the AH200 be THAT much louder than the R600?

For reference, the Carvin has never had any problems nor has it ever suffered any decreases in sound quality or volume, so it's not as if it's damaged.

Are AH200s really that loud or (as stupid as this sounds) is it possible that they may have written the wrong model number on the back?

2. Trace Elliot underrates its power amps' output, Carvin overrates theirs. There are different standards in the EU for measuring the output of amplification equipment.

I once A/Bed a friend's Trace AH150SM with my old Eden WT-300. The Eden simply couldn't keep up.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    :D Peter, your sig is hillarious. I can't stop laughing...

4. Y'know, what scares me is that here at Cornell, a staggeringly large portion of the "future leaders of America" (not coincidentally, many of whom are members of purely social Greek-letter organizations) have very similar thought processes to the person who made this statement. Presumably this applies to many other "elite" (read: overpriced) universities as well.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Different power rating systems in Europe could definitely be a factor. I know an EBS 350 sure feels louder than any other 350 W amp I've encountered.

But you can't really make judgments about relative power amp output from the numbers on a dial. That is, you can't assume 1 on amp A is the same proportion of max power that 1 is on amp B. It just doesn't always go like that. There are some amps that seem to give up nearly everything by the time you get to 3, and others that don't. Remember that the power amp spec is for *max* power under given operating circumstances. If an amp is rated for 600 watts, it means it puts out 600 watts when driven to full power. It doesn't necessarily mean that full power has to happen at any specific part of the dial--3, 6, 10, or wherever. The difference you note might, in part, be related to differing internal gain structures, or different curves on some of the pots.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my trace commando head is louder than my hartke 2000 by far.
    and it was cheaper
    steve

7. Good point--some manufacturers of guitar amps, at least, use master volume pots with huge values so their amps seem louder.

8. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Excellent points! Many thanks!

Peter - I actually thought about the point made in your last post on the way in to work this morning regarding the way master volume pots are adjusted.

Who knows? Hell, all I know is that this thing just about floored me last night when I started to play it.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If it sounds good, it is good.

10. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I ran a Trace AH150 through an 8 ohm trace cab and it sure seemed a hell of alot louder than 150 watts... well it wasnt even running and the minimum load... crazyness. Speaking of which does anyone know where I can buy one?

11. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    ndjx: There's one on ebay right now. That's actually where I got mine.

link.