Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teach a white boy to dance.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by big daddy cool, Feb 16, 2003.

1. I want to know what I should do to improve my dancing when I'm at clubs. If its RnB or hip hop being played, what would you suggest to me as a way of improving the series of uncoordinated movements i call dancing?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Assignment: Teach a white boy to dance.

Outcome: Negative! Mission impossible!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The hottest new step among people who can't dance is something called the "Stay Home".

4. Oh come on, someone must be able to tell me how to dance well. If you're black, you have a haream or your name is justin timberlake you get extra weight behind your suggestions btw.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I am Black, now STAY HOME!!! :p

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If your Bass Playing was awful, professional instruction would be the first thing folks would usually advise you to get.

But if you wish to just go have fun, and provide entertainment for yourself, and lots of other people...skip the dance lessons.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    get lessons, I don't know, check out darrins dance grooves...I see it advertised on TV from time to time, its a video done by the choreographer for N'sync and britney spears and all them.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    just throw yo' hands in the air and wave 'em like you just don't care.

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I second that. Ain't nothin' but a G-thang baby.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I don't fancy myself as a 'great' dancer, but I seem to move bit more than average white guy in his 20s under the disco ball.

It's the age old wisdom that made Elvis famous, and I'd like to pass it to you: it's all about the hip, baby! Loose hip is great fun, and what I've noticed too is that for first couple of tunes you are quite stiff, but then you get warmed up and going..

Latin stuff has lots of the hip movement going on, if you want to look into music videos or something.. In fact my friends have said to me "yea, saw you on the dancefloor, you had that latino hip thing going on.." :eek: :p

11. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    stick to watching people dance...naked.

12. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    yep.. i'm w/ woodchuck... it cant be done.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One of the things that really bums me out is the defeatist attitude of some people here on TalkBass, Woodchuck in particular. Sorry but someone had to say it.

It's entirely possible for anyone to learn how to dance, it just takes determination and practice... and race has nothing to do with it. Try this, admittedly it's not exactly a beginner move but IME it can really help:

You put your right foot in
    You put your right foot out
    You put your right foot in
    And you shake it all about...

14. You know...they say you dance like you make love......

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Brad, Brad, Brad.......if everyone here missed the joke, I thought you'd at least be the ONLY one who got it. :meh:

16. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    ROFLMAO....:bassist:

Seriously, just feel the music. Find the bassline...and move with it. Start with your hips, then the feet will follow. If you are comfortable with yourself, then it doesn't matter what you do. Everyone has their own special style of dancing. Its all about having fun, and not worrying about what other poeple think. Here is a little secret...Nobody in clubs are looking at everybody else. They are concentrating on themselves or the hot number they hooked up with...There...secret is out.

17. Good advice....except it doesn't work if you're trying to impress a hottie :eek:

Not that I ever need to impress...but for all you laymen. :p :D

18. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    If the "hottie" noticed you in the first place, and you are a bad dancer, and she agrees to dance with you, then you are all right. All she/he wants to do is get into your pants anyway...Can I say that?

oh, and did you get all that?

19. posted by iplaybass
    Ain't nothin' but a G-thang baby.

..."Two low-down n****** going CRAZY, Death Row is the label that PAYS ME..."

Another classic:
    "Rollin' down the street, smokin' endo, sippin' on Gin and Juice! Lay back, wit' my mind on my money and my money on my mind."

(Chris goes into his "six fo" Impala with hydraulic suspension, those fold-down seats, and 500W stereo system, all the while wearing the pimp costume that Kramer wore in that episode of Seinfeld.)

WORD.

20. If the "hottie" noticed you in the first place, and you are a bad dancer, and she agrees to dance with you, then you are all right. All she/he wants to do is get into your pants anyway...Can I say that?

Funny. In high school, when I actually cared about that crap, NOTHING HAPPENED. Now, I seem to be noticed A LOT MORE, but am not only taken, I JUST DON'T GIVE A CRAP.